cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV can be funny!

Community Veteran

TV can be funny!

Just watched a thing on sky news about how we are basically at the start of another cold war and how close the world could be to a nucular war.
I then turned over to another channel where there was an add on telling me to save the planet by reducing my carbon footprint! What is the point?!
14 REPLIES
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

Re: TV can be funny!

Because if you don't reduce your carbon footprint, there will be less of the planet to destroy with a nuke? Tongue
This has been discussed for the past month or two; Is it still the on-going Russia threat because America have placed anti-missile bases in Europe?
I find it quite boring now how many different countries feel the need to say "Don't mess with us or we'll bomb you!". Why dont they come out and say it: "Mine is bigger than yours".
*sigh* What a world to live in.
Community Veteran

When I was a kid I remember watching a documentary that said we would be in another ice age by 2025. Clearly we need to keep the emissions up to stop ourselves freezing to death.  Tongue
Community Veteran

Besides the future threat of nuclear war I don't see the point of us here in the UK trying to reduce our carbon footprint when the Americans are doing their very best to increase carbon emmisions all by themselves! I live in NI and we have 2 coal fired power stations for the whole country. Las Vegas has 6 coal fired power stations all by itself and that only covers half the power needed during peak times!
Better go now and switch that light off to save the planet! LoL
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

Quote from: seanbranagh
Besides the future threat of nuclear war I don't see the point of us here in the UK trying to reduce our carbon footprint when the Americans are doing their very best to increase carbon emmisions all by themselves!

Because if every country used that train of thought, no-one would try to reduce carbon emissions, therefore the effects will be felt much quicker.
But you are right; we are really just delaying the effects by trying to reduce ours to equal out the huge usage by the States.
clockley
Grafter

Not to get too political, but China is waaaay above the US in relation to polluting and emissions, IIRC.
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

Not yet, but they expect China to be the number one polluter within around 15 years, only second to the US so far.
Americas problem is that they don't believe global warming exists Tongue
clockley
Grafter

**Adapts southern accent**
It's not global warming, its the lords work!
**removes accent**
It isn't too far from fire and brimstone, I suppose Wink
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

I've always wondered - and no doubt it's a rediculous idea - but if we have such a big problem with the ice melting and sea levels rising etc, then why don't we send water up into orbit and leave it there? Or drop it in a third world country where there is water shortages (just need to get past the fact that it's full of salt and we're laughing).
...anyone else find these moderately sensible? Anyone? Tongue
clockley
Grafter

@Mike
I had this idea years ago, but it was debunked.  Not sure how or why, but it was Sad
Gah!
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

Shall we build a spaceship ourselves and do it?
I do like the sound of "Saviours of mankind" - kinda has a ring to it Wink
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

Quote from: PJ
AFAIK The icecaps are not salt water- I seem to remember articles about the fresh water affecting sea currents.

Ah I believe you're right, I've just been reading a few things on this myself.
So does that conclude that if we could remove sections of the ice caps prior to its integration with the salt water sea, we could take it onto land and store it? (Sounds easy, doesn't it? Tongue)
clockley
Grafter

Mike, I have a few hours free this weekend, fancy a try?
Actually, having thought about it, I never have any free time Cry
Sorry, I'll have to pass on this one.
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

Ianwild
Grafter

Quote from: clockley
Not to get too political, but China is waaaay above the US in relation to polluting and emissions, IIRC.

It's really not. Relatively speaking China has a long way to go before it gets close to the emission levels of the top western polluters in the world now.
The point is though that we have to start somewhere, and in the UK we should be well equipped to make a difference and prove that we can live sustainably. We are surrounded by tidal waters, there is ample supplies of wind, and the solutions can be seen. Even if they are not yet all achievable practically, it's remiss to not start working towards them in everything we do.
There are very few indeed in the scientific community who now argue that we don't need to make radical changes immediately to avoid there being unreversable consequences, which will include millions upon millions of enviromental refugees. I just hope we in the UK / States / West, who have up till now been almost solely responsible for this problem (And one could argue we still are for most of the pollution in places like China, given it's us consuming their output), are prepared to accomadate those displaced peoples?
Ian