cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV auction progs

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

TV auction progs

I seem to watch (read for that, have half an eye on) a lot of these programs, mostly because I'm in during the day not because I'm an avid fan of the genre. But I'm going to be controversial now; I've never really appreciated why, a piece of damaged faded tat can be "worth" so much more than a beautifully presented item be it a painting, crockery or jewellery simply because one has a signature on it and the other hasn't.
Edit, in yesterdays Antiques Roadshow had a plastic box if you please worth hundreds of pounds simply because it had the name Lalique on it!! wierd....
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
6 REPLIES
David_W
Rising Star

Re: TV auction progs

Firstly there is quality, if you buy a nice bit of china from a company that is renown for quality then it's going to be worth a bit more than a mass produced bit of stuff, then you get into collectables, a company may only make 500 models of a certain product, add that limited run to a quality company and the price goes up even more.
We could use books as an analogy.  I'm lucky enough to own a limited edition Terry Pratchett book (I shall wear midnight) it's number 1,046 out of 2,500.  I bought it for £18 or something from Amazon and pretty much as soon as I bought it the value went up to £80, it has exactly the same content and words as the normal hardback copy but the normal hard back copy (which I've said is exactly the same) is around 1/4th of the price, new.  The normal hard back copy is going to depreciate in value, eventually you'll find one in your local charity shop for £2.50 but the limited edition is going to appreciate in value.  If you own a first edition (hard back) of the first discworld books, they are worth thousands!
So, you can see that some things are more valuable to collectors because of what they are and other things are not valuable to collectors because of what they are not.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

But.... on the other hand... Petlew,... you may have noticed that some items valued by the "experts"  ( big bucks valuation on small item ) do not even reach the base line valuations,  And I love it when Paul Martin says.... " quality always sells"... when it gets a good price, but he backtracks when it doesn`t by saying it is in the wrong auction, or that the people haven`t come to this particular auction...
Love it when the duelling antiques Experts on Antiques Roadshow, buy a load of rubbish, thinking they are being clever, and lose big time....  Grin Grin Grin
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: shutter
Love it when the duelling antiques Experts on Antiques Roadshow, buy a load of rubbish, ...

I assume that you mean Antiques Road Trip.
Community Veteran

Yeah ! Roll eyes
nadger
Rising Star

Well you know the definition of an expert  Wink
Someone who knows more and more about less and less until he knows everything about nothing ( polite version  Roll eyes )
Community Veteran

I resemble that remark.  Shocked