Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV adverts

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

TV adverts

which is your worst TV advert ??   i agree the daft twerking add is terrible ,MoneySuperMarket.com 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38672439

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
22 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: TV adverts

It may well be the "daftest" in concept, but it certainly sticks in the mind, as the most obnoxious one...  the problem with tv advertising is that you only have a very short time to get your message across, before the next one blows it away... 

unfortunately, this particular ad does more to drive me towards another website, than to attract me to using it... the next most obnoxious one is on similar vein... that stupid "opera singer"" one...    on equal terms with that is the one where the guy is "supposed" to be trying to drive his car, and get green lights, and makes stupid remarks... or a stunt driver manages to park his car for him in a small space..

All of those adverts drive me away from their intended destination.

( if they are so stupid as to accept that kind of advertising, then they must think their "customers" are just as stupid )....

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

I think it's twerking stupid, but then I am more than twelve years old!

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

It's not just stupid I find it offensive to the eyes. The sight of those men in their exceedingly tight 'hot pants' is to me at least quite repulsive. So much so that I avoid watching them. Also, now I'm on my soap box, those other adverts with James Cordon for a car insurance company who makes no attempt to correct the skid he ends up in and condones it as the correct way to park! You try that and see what happens.

nadger
Rising Star

I agree that all the Money Supermarket adds are offensive - thankfully there's mute or fast forwarding.

Come back " Shake and Vac" - all is forgiven Angel

Minivanman
Hero

Here's the thing, whether you find it offensive or not (and I don't) - if it were women shaking their rears in an advert you can be dammed sure some of them would make it their business to be! 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

The Money Supermarket adverts have a negative effect on me. Every time I see that advert I feel less inclined to use their services. It is a symptom of large Corporates trying to appeal to the mindless.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 62

The thing about some of these types of ads is that they are made to be annoying. Take a look at the ads for webuyanycar when they started out. An all out annoying advert that made me turn the radio off in the car anytime it came on (same with that opera singer too). But that's the thing, they don't cross the line in any way that is especially offensive and because of how annoying they are.. people talk about it (the whole point of the ad in the first place!). So to the advertisers this is proven to be effective as people are talking about it and so there is this new trend for annoying adverts.

Now that webuyanycar is established they have done away with the overly annoying jingles and have become more subtle in how they communicate to attract the audiences that they would have driven away in the past.

I record all my TV stuff these days so I just fast forward through it all now.

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

Fixes: 47

Could be worse.

In Demolition Man police officers in the far future are listening to the charts top 20 in their car and they are advert jingles.

Personally I can't stand the current Money supermarket adverts and don't watch them.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
agedgopher
Aspiring Pro

No matter how annoying, the objective of the adverts has been achieved. Love them or hate them we are talking about them, exactly what the advertiser was trying to achieve. 

Minivanman
Hero

@jaread83

That 'crossing the line' is more of a moving target as times and attitudes change? Plusnet on the other hand with their strict rules on language and nervousness around 'sensitive' subjects seem rather static and staid if I may say so. Let's face it, you can't go far wrong with a pile of spoons now can you!

I'm guessing advertisers are seeing how far they can go before somebody objects - and there is always somebody who will have their Mary Whitehouse hat on. 

Cadbury's Flake, now there was an advert. Wink

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Despite the objections they have not been banned.

Personally I would ban them on the grounds of poor taste.

Minivanman
Hero

As would many, but what side of the line would you fall if you were the deciding authority?

Not easy being nanny. Smiley

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Likely they have a list of criteria to work from when deciding what is or is not acceptable.

Who decides  the criteria ? That is the question ?

Fixes: 125

There are some ads that grate on me but, get offended? There is always someone, somewhere ready to be offended, though. What is poor taste to one person may be acceptable to someone else.

As @gleneagles states, they have a list of criteria but I assume the boundaries may be a little blurred at times and common sense should prevail both on behalf of the ASA and the viewers.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still