cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV: The Secret Life of the Dog

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

TV: The Secret Life of the Dog

Did anybody see this the other night? There was a Collie on it that was fetching toys on order and they seemed to think this was unusual.
My Lab will fetch any of his (many!) toys on command, and regularly was told to fetch them in from the garden where he had dropped them.
I checked yesterday, we were in the kitchen and he had one of his favorite toys in his mouth (rarely without a toy) and I told him to fetch one of his other toys that was in the other room, off he went and returned with it to much praise.
This is not something that I have specifically taught him it is just something that he does, since all his toys have names (I blame my wife for that!) and he will fetch a named toy for you.
18 REPLIES
sweafe
Grafter

Re: TV: The Secret Life of the Dog

my girlfriends boxer does this also
jmd
Grafter

Holly will fetch her Teddy as that is favourite!
However, I did think it was a very interesting programme.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I go and fetch anything my missus asks tells me too !  Undecided  Cheesy
pierre_pierre
Grafter

well you are a bt of an old C dog
Community Veteran

I had a boxer too that would do that.
He could also open every door in the house from either side (except the front door.) He would open the back door and go out for a pee. Never got him to figure out how to shut it when he came back in though!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Bet he neveer wiped his feet  Roll eyes
Community Veteran

No. he had trained me to wipe his feet for him.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Dear Dogs and Cats:
The dishes with the paw prints are yours and contain your food. The other dishes are mine and contain my food. Placing a paw print in the middle of my plate and food does not stake a claim for it becoming your food and dish, nor do I find that aesthetically pleasing in the slightest.
The stairway was not designed by NASCAR and is not a racetrack. Racing me to the bottom is not the object. Tripping me doesn't help because I fall faster than you can run.
I cannot buy anything bigger than a king sized bed. I am very sorry about this. Do not think I will continue sleeping on the couch to ensure your comfort, however.. Dogs and cats can actually curl up in a ball when they sleep. It is not necessary to sleep perpendicular to each other, stretched out to the fullest extent possible. I also know that sticking tails straight out and having tongues hanging out on the other end to maximize space is nothing but sarcasm.
For the last time, there is no secret exit from the bathroom! If, by some miracle, I beat you there and manage to get the door shut, it is not necessary to claw, whine, meow, try to turn the knob or get your paw under the edge in an attempt to open the door. I must exit through the same door I entered. Also, I have been using the bathroom for years - canine/feline attendance is not required.
The proper order for kissing is: Kiss me first, then go smell the other dog or cat's butt. I cannot stress this enough.

TO ALL NON-PET OWNERS WHO VISIT AND LIKE TO COMPLAIN ABOUT OUR PETS:

(1) They live here. You don't.
(2) If you don't want their hair on your clothes, stay off the furniture. That's why they call it 'fur'-niture.
(3) I like my pets a lot better than I like most people..
(4) To you, they are animals. To me, they are adopted sons/daughters who are short, hairy, walk on all fours and don't speak clearly.
Remember, dogs and cats are better than kids because they:
(1) Eat less,
(2) Don't ask for money all the time,
(3) Are easier to train,
(4) Normally come when called,
(5) Never ask to drive the car,
(6) Don't smoke or drink,
(7) Don't want to wear your clothes,
(Cool Don't have to buy the latest fashions,
(9) Don't need a gazillion dollars for college
And;
(10) If they get pregnant, you can sell their children...
Community Veteran

Quote from: shutter
I go and fetch anything my missus asks tells me too !   Undecided  Cheesy

Very witty - maybe you should go back to sea
But no didn't see tele - but I can belive people stories about their dogs - I think they are brighter than some people give them credit.
I wish my circumstances allowed me a dog.
N/A

I was intrigued by this programme. My lot (as far as I know) couldn't do any of the tricks shown, although I have never tried them.
I think that it adds weight to the argument that dogs need stimulation and companionship and that they should not be deprived of it.
Leaving them for hours on end, especially in kennels is unacceptable physically and emotionally.
What really upset me though was the conditions that the Silver Foxes were kept in at the research centre in Siberia. I thought that it was
horrendous and I just hope that they do get to spend some time out of those dreadful cages, which were no better than battery farmed
animals/birds.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Quote from: shutter
I go and fetch anything my missus asks tells me too ! 

Ditto!
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Dear Dogs and Cats:........

That's just EXCELLENT Pierre, if only I could teach my pets to read I'd show them this.  Sounds like they're all the same.
On the other hand:
(1) Eat less,

I guess you don't have a Labrador or similar or it would have been 'Eat Anything'!
Going back to the OP, I know several dogs who will fetch anything edible from bins or similar without even being asked.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran

researchers can be as unwittingly callous as mass-pack animal farmers of pigs, cows and fowl.  i did notice the woman take holding and cuddling one.  maybe they get more attention than is thought?  the aggressive ones wouldn't though and it must be hard for them.
as interesting as the evolved behaviour of dogs is, the fact that the gene pool of the several breeds is so small is aiding researchers in finding the genes implicated in various diseases.  they found one in boxers that corresponds to humans and think that there may be another.
it's also a wake-up call to start introducing more genes into certain breeds, such as the king charles with too small a brain pan, the bulldog that can't naturally give birth and those other breeds that have developed diseases like humans.  some dogs have asthma for having too-short snouts.  the alsation is too inbred resulting in weak hips and dysplasia.  all these breeds need a dose of new genes by being bred with a different breed.
the kennel club won't help in this regard as they hang on to rigid ideas about what is attractive in a particular breed, rather than what is good for the breed.  the data coming out of the behavioural and genetic research may help to change their minds and encourage for healthy breeding instead of merely lo
N/A

the kennel club won't help in this regard as they hang on to rigid ideas about what is attractive in a particular breed, rather than what is good for the breed.

Too right Artificer - all they seem interested in is coining in the cash.
Last year when my friend was looking for another dog she saw two advertisements for Labrador Retrievers in the local paper.
Fortunately, I took her to my other friend who has years and years of experience of owning, showing and breeding Labbies.
She telephoned the two numbers and enquired about the hip scores and eye certificate and the hip scores were very, very high. Both of them were KC registered.
Now what I want to know is why bother paying out for the test (which is very expensive) if they are going to register progeny of dogs who have a high chance of passing on hip problems?
IMO they should not be registered at all as they are condemning the dogs to pain and suffering, not to mention very expensive veterinary fees for the unwitting owners.
The KC need to wake up and do more to help these unfortunate breeds with genetic problems.    Angry