cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV/Skype

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

TV/Skype

For sometime SWMBO and I have Skype'd our daughter in New Zealand and other family. For various complex reasons related to Mrs P disabilities balancing a PC on her lap is quite difficult without it wobbling all over the place and the loose fit camera constantly falling off.
It occurs to me that I should I think be able to set up our fairly new TV as a PC monitor and set the camera on a small tripod or fixture for her.
However, the Skype and camera connection would still need to be through the PC. With an available TV manufactures LAN adaptor (would need to obtain) Can I set the TV to my home network and transfer the PC image to the TV. Or I can I think set the whole thing via USB cables.
Any ideas?
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
14 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: TV/Skype

Some internet ready TV's support Skype directly - have you checked if yours does with the LAN adapter?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran

The adaptor is an optional extra, it might well but I haven't ordered one yet. I must look into that ASAP.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Why not just put a laptop on a table; with an associated chair it would work well. Cheesy

Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

If the TV has a VGA input then what about a long VGA cable ?
Or a long HDMI cable if the PC has HDMI output
Fixes: 124

Have you looked at one of these?
I have something similar at home. I'm out at mo but when I get home I'll look for the details and photo. What I have is great for use in bed or even sitting in a chair.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Thanks guy's...
No HDMI output on PC sadly.
Think TV has VGA input, will look into this.
@Mav, thanks but I'm trying to discourage Mrs P from becoming bed-ridden any more than necessary, although I admit it would work I expect.
Have emailed Samsung helpline to ask if their LAN adaptor has Skype in-built, but the available information doesn't mention it.
For later today using a high stool (a variation on Un renard, c'est le Mal's suggestion) for PC and mounted camera on tripod, looks as if it will work, a bit Heath Robinson but effective.

Community Veteran

Found this on ah hem! Skype's website, but at £179 its a bit pricey for occasional use: http://shop.skype.com/intl/en-gb/skype-for-tv/tv-compatible-webcams/logitech-tv-cam-hd/

Community Veteran

Also from Amazon it seems (what isn't): http://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-960-000924-TV-Cam-HD/dp/B008VS899W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=135653632...
Same price, with some very very enthusiastic reviews.
The question is; is it worth the expense?

Community Veteran

I know its expensive, but there were other considerations other than cost involved with this,
After some umming and arrhing we took the plunge and purchased the Logitech TV cam kit, and are we pleased we did...
Remember it only has one function in life; to bring Skype to your TV screen, which it does brilliantly.
Most importantly, SWMBO is delighted.
Recommended if the cost doesn't put you off.

Fixes: 104

if it does what you want and you are happy with it, then it's not too expensive and it's good value for money Smiley
glad it has worked out for you and Mrs P.
Will Moderate For Thanks
nadger
Rising Star

As has been said the price isn't important if Mrs P is happy and can communicate readily with your daughter and other family members.
I think our current tele needs an upgrade http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20957218
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

So, how do 13,000 people still manage to watch b&w tv.... since the digital system?  can they/do they,  use a digi box?
nadger
Rising Star

Would indicate that a Freeview box will work with b&w but don't know anyone who's tried.
When I first started work in Jan 1952 it was with Ultra Electric and tvs they made were built like tanks.
They put in an overhead conveyor system to carry tubes to production line and sometimes one would fall off. Sounded like bomb going off.
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Quote from: shutter
So, how do 13,000 people still manage to watch b&w tv.... since the digital system?   can they/do they,  use a digi box?

Yes. A digibox will output a colour signal, which the B&W set will accept via the aerial socket and show in monochrome. Just the same as receiving off-air when the signal was analogue.
Provided, of course, that the box has an RF modulator - not many of the current models do.
Not young enough to know everything