cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV Shows.. Why do they always get cut prematurely?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

TV Shows.. Why do they always get cut prematurely?

Ok, so here I am I've been an avid Stargate fan for many years, been on the SG forums for years etc. Loved SG-1 and then Atlantis came around - yippee. It lasted just 5 series and then they came up with a semi dodgy / rushed ending but at least all was good.
Then Stargate Universe comes up. Series 1 started ok.. ish, went down the pan and got better towards the end. Series 2 comes on and was far superior but MGM (bless them) decide they've already had enough and cancel it. The last episode is this week on PickTV on Saturday at 9pm. It ends leaving us all in the lurch not knowing what happens to the crew, the ship or the rest of the Stargate saga. Now this is annoying because the producers left it open ended except that they knew all the props were being sold off. Everything from the MALP to the stargates themselves were sold back in March 2011 so why bother leaving it open ended in the last show?
Then there was Battlestar Galatica (the original one) which also did the same thing - ended abruptly. The A-Team went a bit weird, Knight Rider just kinda vanished and came back with KR 2000 which saw everything go weird (KITT being a cadillac for instance) and Airwolf went down the pan with it's 4th series with a completely new cast.
Many of these shows were hugely popular (especially over british cr@ppy TV programs) yet they are always ended abruptly or leaving us wanting more despite the fact they know we won't be getting it. One exception springs to mind - Battlestar Galactica - which effectively wiped the slate completely clean with Starbuck being a woman and the show starting from a film where they've never even heard of Earth.
Why must everything good, come to an end? Why does bad / boring / life-dragging-you-down stuff always go on year after year but the good stuff is short lived?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: TV Shows.. Why do they always get cut prematurely?

New Broom Sweeps Clean?
Possibly......
If the "head of entertainment"... ( term used loosely !) changes, then there is inevitably going to be a change of direction, as the new boy tries to "prove his worth", and increase viewer figures, to justify his choice for the position, and ultimately, to justify his salary.
Fixes: 104

American ratings dip and the channels don't renew the shows.
Will Moderate For Thanks
Fixes: 125

The same thing happened with the recent Knightrider reboot and Terminator: Sarah Conner Chronicles Sad

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

I enjoyed the new night rider but it seemed over done. It was still a great show but it seemed to rely too much on CGI if you ask me. I know thats the pot and kettle with shows like Stargate relying on CGI but it's a bit more acceptable for space sci-fi shows Wink. In KR it didn't quite seem right but it was still a good show.
Fixes: 125

The first episode of Kinghtrider was excellent then it slipped till they killed a few characters off later on then it picked up again and then got dropped.
Having enjoyed the original series I found the reboot a little harder to digest but eventually it did change to closer reflect the original remit. Missed Edward Mulhare as Devon but, sadly, he died in 1997.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Yeah Devon was a fantastic character and I was seriously disturbed in KR 2000 when they killed off his character and Michael Knight couldn't even attend the funeral. It really was such a sad plot and at the time being a massive KR fan I was absolutely gutted (hey I was only about 14!). For the next week it felt like the bottom had dropped out of my world  Crazy
I never really got to see much of the new KR - I saw the first couple of episodes but not having sky or anything my viewing is limited to what I can watch from other sources. Same as Battlestar Galactica (although the film tested my patience a bit lol).