cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV Repeats

Community Veteran

TV Repeats

I'm generally a defender of the TV licence fee but reading about the number of repeats on at Christmas I'm having doubts Huh
Repeat Christmas
Whilst talking about TV am I the only one thinking overkill in TV coverage of Mandella?  Seems to have been repeating info all day long.
Last night the BBC interrupted Mrs Brown's Boys Christmas Special halfway through to take a press conference from SA which could have waited until the end of the programme Crazy
24 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: TV Repeats

Repeats: Not just this Christmas m'thinks. Christmas TV scheduling has been wall to wall repeats for a number of years, much the same repeats as last year. I haven't looked at the listings yet but I suppose we have The Wizard of Oz, White Christmas, the Morcombe and Wise Christmas Show and numerous others that are really getting a bit hackneyed now.
Mandela overkill, absolutely, I suspect we'll hear little else for at least the next week or so. No doubt the state funeral will be televised from several hours in advance. Wonder how many production staff the Beeb will send to cover it.
One thing though; in common with many of the worlds leaders etc. Terrorism works doesn't it.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
RichAllen
Grafter

There will be 2 shows I'll watch on Christmas Day, Doctor Who, and Mrs Brown, the rest of the time will be spent between watching stuff on Netflix on Xbox, and watching the Blu Rays Dad's buying me.
Community Veteran

Repeats!!!
For the low level, user seasonal things that are repeated do have some value, provided that the are of programmes with merit. What I do have an issue with is the insertion of prehistoric rounds of Eggheads with occasional recent ones as a sort of padding. The producers do match up the winnings pot to conceal the practice but what happened to the omitted ones? Did they seem too bad to broadcast and the subterfuge was necessary?  CJ's garb and haircut alwasy gives the game away, I wonder if the team gets extra fees for their rebroadcast sessions?Huh
RichAllen
Grafter

The BBC are hypocrites IMO, a few years back they turned round and said they could no longer afford to show Neighbours on BBC 1, when the show then moved to Channel 5, the Beeb temporarily replaced it with another Aussie soap!  And now they show Doctors, which Mum records every day.
I wouldn't mind, but episodes of Neighbours broken in 2 by ad breaks isn't fair IMO.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: artmo

Whilst talking about TV am I the only one thinking overkill in TV coverage of Mandella?  Seems to have been repeating info all day long.
You are very brave putting that BUT I fully agree with you, of course it should have been the first news item but 10 minutes would have been adequate as there will be several programs dedicated to him over the next week or so.
Fixes: 47

I can't be the only one who thought the degree of media coverage was inevitable.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Probably been on the stocks for years. Lets face it his death was hardly a shock.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

You're right. The media companies have obituaries on the shelf ready for the inevitable.  They are regularly updated I understand.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

given the reported activity levels at his home in the hours leading up to the announcement I cant help but think they withheld the information for a few hours to allow the screening of the film about his life to be undertaken prior to making it public news .....
it does add a certain amount of "must see" to it and that's exactly the sort of thing a publicist would think of .....

as for the tv licence its been a pointless endeavour for years, the bbc would cost vastly less if it was still doing what it used to (employing lots of people and providing full training for them on low wages then allowing them to be poached for not much more cash and zero on-going pension requirements) thus providing high quality people for tv without being an undue burden, half the employees were caught in the pension trap (loose to much by leaving) and the other half were keen and thrusting trying to make there name so they would be poached before entering into the pension trap.
it should be scrapped because all it does now is disadvantage those paying by 13 quid a month and change from the quassi private entity doing the bidding of its current labour peer to a fully independent company that would kick his overpaid ass to the curb in a heartbeat and get back to reporting things instead of making them up, they would then be free to pay whoever whatever they wanted instead of the current travesty of wasting licence and tax payers monies in paying people like that grotesque idiot Jonathon ross 20+ million pounds for him to embark on even more idiotic adventures with his drunk/stoned pall's live on air.
a complete travesty and things need to change, either put salaries back into reality bracket (under 100k per annum gross) with more money going into training and production budgets or get rid of it as a national institution!
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

So how would you fund the BBC?
BTW, Ross does not work for the BBC. He is under contract to ITV.
Community Veteran

Sadly miss the movie "stagecoach", it used to be broadcast every Christmas eve, one repeat I'd watch again.
A must  in our home is "Dinner for One" it's become a tradition.
Community Veteran

I have complained to the BBC about the wall-to-wall coverage of Mandela for the past few days.  They told me they have received many complaints.  Seems like many others thought likewise.
RichAllen
Grafter

Jonathan Ross is an annoying numpty IMO, I mean yeah OK I realise he can't help not being able to talk properly, but his voice does m head in .
nanotm
Pro

Quote from: artmo
So how would you fund the BBC?
BTW, Ross does not work for the BBC. He is under contract to ITV.

and yet year on year he has been paid colossal amounts of money by the BBC to host various things
he's not the only one but he is bay far the most notorious of the complete idiocy that has happened over the last decade
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you