cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV Remakes

Fixes: 125

TV Remakes

I started a thread recently on movie remakes, this time I'm looking at TV remakes:

Play Your Cards Right is to return with Vernon Kay.
Never liked him doing All-Star Family Fortunes - not really a funny man. But, then again, Bob Monkhouse is a hard act to follow. Anyone remember Max Bygraves as host. Les Dennis did a reasonable job.
Some others they brought back which I feel never matched the originls
Take Your Pick
Mr and Mrs
Generation Game with Jim Davidson
Mastermind
What games shows of yesteryear would you like to see again and with which host(s)?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

13 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: TV Remakes

QUIZ SHOW: Mastermind On: BBC 2
Date: Friday 4th November 2011 (starting in 11 days)
Time: 20:00 to 20:30 (30 minutes long)
Four contestants are interrogated on a chosen subject, plus a general knowledge round, in the famous black chair, to compete for the grand title of Mastermind.
(Stereo, Widescreen, Subtitles, 4 Star)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Excerpt taken from DigiGuide - the world's best TV guide available from http://www.getdigiguide.tv/?p=1&r=17639
Copyright (c) GipsyMedia Limited.
Community Veteran

I always liked Bullseye and The Golden Shot.
Personally I think the prizes in many game shows have become too big and seems to often spoil the show.
Some game shows just worked because many of the prizes were awful like Take Your Pick.

Quote from: billnotben
Personally I think the prizes in many game shows have become too big and seems to often spoil the show.

I agree - they now seem to cater for the greed factor rather than the taking part and fun.
I quite liked Bullseye but didn't like the remake wih Dave Spikey.
What about Blankety Blank? - some of the worse prizes but great show. I think Les Dawson did just as well as Terry Wogan. But Lily Savage - nope!

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

pierre_pierre
Grafter

and the stupid phone questions that use premium rate calls
like where is the tower of london
a) Bulgaria
b)China
c)England
and all the idiots who take part in the junk pile to be the one chosen, and pay for the prize with their phone
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Quote from: pierre_pierre
and the stupid phone questions that use premium rate calls

Between jobs I worked for one of the companies that handled the phone traffic for many of these competition lines. I can assure you that many many thousands of calls were made from the moment the lines were opened. Creating much revenue for the operating companies.
Sadly, if the rumours and allegations are true (I suspect they are) that Joe-public stood zero chance of winning, since the back-room studio staff were primed to make the winning calls. I recall that several TV companies were successfully prosecuted for fraud including ATV, ITV and a number of satellite channels went out of business over it. I think the Beeb was also implicated.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

PS. I also believe there was some controversy over voting lines for shows such as "Strictly come Dancing" (although I hasten to add that's only an example of the genre of program not that SCD has a problem) which is I believe one of the reasons that the time to vote is very much shorter nowadays rather than the 48 or more hours that was common once.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

As MAv says, don't like Vernon Kay and frankly I've never liked family fortunes either. What an incredibly boring game. I remember years ago being stuck out in th woods with nothing but terrestrial TV.. Saturday night would come along, Family Fortunes on ITV and not much else on the other 3 and with nothing much else to do, it used to make me really depressed. Famiy fortunes may of been alright in the 80's but its one of those shows.. once you've seen it once you've seen a lifetime of it and it becomes boring pretty fast.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
idlewis
Grafter

TV Show I like to come back on TV is 3-2-1.  with Dusty Bin.  It was my favourite show when I was younger.

Currently having a re-run on Freeview Challenge.

pierre_pierre
Grafter

didnt know that so looked
QUIZ SHOW: 3-2-1
On: Challenge (46)   
Date: Thursday 10th November 2011 Time: 22:00 to 23:00 (1 hour long)
Contestants bid to make it through three rounds of games, quiz questions and variety acts to claim a star prize. Failure sees them go home with Dusty Bin. Ted Rogers hosts.
(Stereo, Subtitles, Part 3)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Excerpt taken from DigiGuide - the world's best TV guide available from http://www.getdigiguide.tv/?p=1&r=17639
Copyright (c) GipsyMedia Limited.

Did anyone ever understand how the rhyming clues related to the prizes?

Fixes: 47

No....and they were rarely obvious even when explained Embarrassed
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Even the host used to struggle in making the explanation to the answer plausible.