cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV Power Saver

itsme
Grafter

TV Power Saver

Received today a free TV power saver so connected all up which required me to find the universal remote for the TV. I normally don't use a remote for the TV as I have STB which go in through the scart. As it been many years since I last use this remote I had to put batteries in and reprogram it , requiring a search on the internet  to find the manual and then trying 6 or 7 codes to find the one that work with my TV. I have to use the TV remote as when power is applied to the TV it goes into standby mode and I need it to get the TV out of standby.
Programmed the Power Saver with the TV remote. What should happen is that the 'power on' on the TV remote switch the power on from the Saver then to switch off  the remote is used to place the TV into standby and then 20 seconds later the Saver will remove the power from the TV and other equipment plugged into it. This did not happen with me as I assume that the power my TV is using in standby is above the threshold. So I then had an idea to use the STB instead of the TV to control the power. So swapped plugs and reprogrammed the Saver. Switched the power on to the STB and 20 seconds later the power was removed.
So my setup up the TV in standby draw too much power and the STB when in use does not draw enough. So back to switching the TV off manually and leaving the STB in standby.   Sad
11 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: TV Power Saver

I've looked at purchasing such a device before and to date haven't done so......lazy shopper Embarrassed
However your experience is interesting and probably useful for others purchasing such an energy saving device.
My current TV draws about 0.1 watt on standby so not much of a problem but there is the STB, the DVD, the Wii etc, etc Roll eyes
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
itsme
Grafter

My TV Saver was free from EON and I'm waiting for a free PC Saver from British Gas.
My TV is 20 years old so perhaps that's the reason that the Standby power is high.
jmd
Grafter

I got a free EON TV power saver but I could not plug everything into it so gave it up.......................have a surge prtotected thingy that takes the plugs for TV, telephone[cordless], DVD, and PVR and as the telephone has to be on permanently it just did not work.  So Strat if you want one - you can come and get it!!
Also got one for PC but then when I read it box that would not work with laptop cos of battery - also wi-fi printer would not work with it.  So gave that to neice.
Denzil
Grafter

I have a very effective TV power saver - my finger, applied to the switch on the wall. TV, STB etc all off in one go.  Cheesy

@Josie That's a very kind offer but I would probably be in the same situation as your self.
@Denzil Handy when you can get to it relatively easily Wink Smiley
Community Veteran

The STB or Digital TV downloads an EPG overnight, at about 03:00, so these Power Savers will stop that!
Some of the newer LCD and LED TV's have a <1W standby power, some are 0.1W. There is an EU directive insisting that devices in standby take much less power than they currently do.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed

Quote from: Strat
My current TV draws about 0.1 watt on standby

It's an LED TV.
Lurker
Grafter

We have one with an IR Receiver on a fly lead. You program a specific button on your remote control to turn the power off.
There are six outlets in total on the extension lead, 4 of which are always controlled via the IR, and two of which are optionally 'always on' or 'controlled by IR'
So you could have your PVR on one of the permanently on outlets, and TV/amp/etc on the remote controlled ones.
Just make sure you don't use that button for anything else (Teletext function buttons are useful for this use, but it will depend on your remote what feature buttons you have 'spare)
Works well, would recommend.
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: godsell4
The STB or Digital TV downloads an EPG overnight, at about 03:00, so these Power Savers will stop that!

So you can't switch a TV off at night if you want EPG, think there are plenty of people that do without having problems with EPG.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

my one will upgrade during the day, no problem
nadger
Rising Star

I always turn off Thomson hard drive recorder when we go to bed at night - no problems with EPG.