cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV Licence

Community Veteran

TV Licence

It is estimated that 1000 households a day are getting rid of their TVs and stopping paying the licence fee.
TV Licence
Half a million say they no longer have a TV. This is a major blow to the BBC in the loss of revenue. It is one reason why the government is looking at the future of the licence fee.
There has to be a better way to fund the BBC that is fair to them and also fair to viewers. What is it though?
43 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Re: TV Licence

That link doesn't appear to be correct. No reference to TV Licensing there.
Fixes: 47

Community Veteran

Sorry Mook that was a link to another post I was answering. Thanks Strat for sorting it for me Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: artmo
What is it though?

A while back the government were supposed to be looking at abandoning the TV licence and either charging for it on the broadband or council tax type basis - or so I thought. Personally I'm against that. While I agree the bbc make some interesting TV, I rarely watch their channels or programs and certainly never watch them on iplayer. Top Gear was the exception.
Mind you, having said that I do find BBC3 entertaining late at night.. the one channel they're supposed to be scrapping  Roll eyes
Once upon a time I was against the BBC being publicly forcefully funded and I still am  Cheesy
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

@artmo Fatfingeritis eh!, we all suffer from it now and again.
My TV License has a serial number on it so why not have the App prompt the user to enter their serial number with a limit on the number of registered devices, so you can't share one license around the entire (extended) family or even street.
Community Veteran

The present licence costs around 45p per day and this seems exceptionally good value for the number of channels available. However, with so many people not now paying the fee there has to be another way of funding. One suggestion is to charge for catch-uo use but how will this be done. I'm sure John Whittingdale will come up with a sensible method satisfactory to the BBC and viewers.
Steve
Pro

There has to be a better way to fund the BBC that is fair to them and also fair to viewers. What is it though?
Advertisements.
Community Veteran

As M Steve says...
Even the queen has dropped the BBC for her speech and gone to ITV - the daily mail were reporting on that for a couple of days this week.
So why does the BBC think it is so special? It ruins the nations favourite motoring show, cost itself loads of money in the process, caused royalty to become disgruntled.. and they still expect us to pay for it? - In the real world?
The only thing I can agree with is that they do offer a lot of services but they're deluded in thinking that they're above everyone else and can walk all over us. Jimmy Saville... they knew about that too but kept it quiet. What is wrong with this organisation? - I'll tell you, they've become too comfy and protected. That has to change.
Steve
Pro

It is estimated that 1000 households a day are getting rid of their TVs and stopping paying the licence fee.
I believe a heck of a lot of Scots dumped paying the tax after how BBC treated them during #indyref
Edit: I still pay mine though
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Quote from: M
I believe a heck of a lot of Scots dumped paying the tax after how BBC treated them

They might need to rename it 'EBC' then.  Lips are sealed
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

This is worth a read - I found it quite illuminating - http://wattsupwiththat.com/2015/05/18/the-unspeakable-bbc-parks-its-tanks-on-my-lawn/
Fixes: 121

Quote from: M
Advertisements.
Oh, please no...
It's great to still have a handful of channels uninterrupted by long ads every 10-15 minutes.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

@Mav, I agree with you, the BBC should not be forced into accepting advertising for its funding. I think any solution will avoid this possibility.
Community Veteran

Yet they force others to do what they don't want.. yet the BBC should not be forced... ?  Grin
I'm not saying thats hypocracy.. except.. well.. yeah it is  Crazy