Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV Licence now needed for iPlayer

Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Re: TV Licence now needed for iPlayer

@nanotm wrote:

@7up wrote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why?

The ISP who owns that IP range will still have logs of who had that address at the date and time in question.

Proving who was using that connection and with what device however is far harder.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

sure if we all have sole use of that ip address at the time, it was my understanding that most isp's allocate each user a shared address under ipv4 whilst under ipv6 each device has its own unique identifier

Correct me if I am wrong... but were you not just explaining to OldJim how the MBR works the other day?

An IPv4 address is assigned to a CONNECTION / endpoint. That means if you have one phone line (fibre, cable or whatever - one line) and you connect ***A DEVICE*** to it then ***THAT DEVICE*** has the IP address.

It could be a PC / Mac with an internal modem, external USB modem or a modem / router combo which is what most of us use these days.

If it's a modem / router then that then shares out internal LAN IP addresses to all the devices connected to the network and performs NAT (Network Address Translation) on all outbound http (and other) requests - and then passes back the data from the web to the requesting device on that network.

Due to NAT the ISP can not see which device on that network requested the data - only that it was requested from that IP address. Only the router knows that and would typically not bother logging it on small home routers.

So perhaps you can see why I made my comment in bold?

Your dynamic IP address can be tracked down to a household at any time via ISP logs. Who did what on the other side of the modem / router at the far end of that connection is where the difficulty lies because you cannot conclusively prove that it was anyone or any particular device - unless you can examine all the household devices forensically but even that doesn't prove which person was using the device and even then it could have been a visitor.

IPv6 will indeed turn that on its head but then thats what remote VPNs and TOR are all about.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

ahh yes I was thinking of cg-nat used to distribute the single ipv4 address across multiple customers, something that BT invested rather heavily in before reversing its "were not going to do ipv6" stance which is no doubt down to the same problem of how to track which consumer end point (home router) was requesting the traffic via that ip address ....

just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Fixes: 344

@nadger wrote:

One thing I found yesterday was that iPlayer app on Roku and NowTV box remembered my confirming that I had licence and allowed immediate access to programmes.

I noticed that on a couple of my devices including my PS4.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 70.0.1 (64-bit)

Life is tough enough without adding Linux into the mix.
VileReynard
Champion
Fixes: 17

I can't see the BBC obtaining court orders (without any evidence) to obtain a subscribers postal address from an ISP's logs from a given IPV4 address at a specified date/time. :cheesy:

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Community Veteran

@nanotm wrote:

ahh yes I was thinking of cg-nat used to distribute the single ipv4 address across multiple customers, something that BT invested rather heavily in before reversing its "were not going to do ipv6" stance which is no doubt down to the same problem of how to track which consumer end point (home router) was requesting the traffic via that ip address ....

You can never admit to being wrong or clueless can you :tongue:

But at least you're not rude or offensive to anyone :wink:

Community Veteran

@VileReynard wrote:

I can't see the BBC obtaining court orders (without any evidence) to obtain a subscribers postal address from an ISP's logs from a given IPV4 address at a specified date/time. :cheesy:

They won't need to, the law will simply be adjusted. Haven't you worked out how this country works yet?

Community Veteran

@chenks76 wrote:
as i said, and so have others, this is easily manageable by simply have a login page where you have to have an iplayer account before you can view. the account will be tied to your tv licence number.

and so it begins....
first stage... bbc login with your postcode required starts today.

second stage (coming in soon after), login required with address to be able to access iplayer.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 49

Just tried iPlayer for the first time on my new TV and it didn't require a BBC login or post code.

It did ask me to confirm I had a TV license though.

I must have been really bad in a previous life as this was my 3rd ISP in a row that used lithium.
Now you're stuck with me because my new ISP doesn't run a forum Cheesy
Community Veteran

iplayer app on android for me today logged me out of my bbc acount and forced me to enter postcode before i could log back in.
same on bbc website.

probably hasn't rolled out to smart tv app yet.

login account isn't mandatory yet, but will be in the near future.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

"....forced me to enter postcode"

Not really, you had a choice.

Community Veteran

well the choice was enter postcode to continue using the bbc account, or not enter it and not use the bbc account.
this is only the first step of bbc account requirement iplayer access.

a bbc account with your address details will become mandatory to get access to iplayer in the near future.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-37477229
http://arstechnica.co.uk/tech-policy/2016/09/bbc-iplayer-bbc-id-postcode-registration/

VileReynard
Champion
Fixes: 17

Virtually any post code would do.

You can find one near you using http://www.royalmail.com/find-a-postcode

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Community Veteran

well yes that's the flaw.
you can basically submit any address and post code. it has no way to validate whether that really is your address or not.

unless, of course, they are going to be cross checking against a valid licence with some other added check, say the licence number, but somehow i doubt that.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

I have a TV licence and can get iplayer, itv hub what I cannot get is all4....

I get the message, you do not appear to be in the UK.......

I did raise this under another section of the forum regarding non uk ip addresses