cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV Licence now needed for iPlayer

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

TV Licence now needed for iPlayer

Just what the subject says really, from today a TV Licence is need to use the iPlayer App but even the BBC don't know how to enforce it!

58 REPLIES
nadger
Rising Star

Re: TV Licence now needed for iPlayer

Running iPlayer on laptop from BBC site I was asked if I have licence. Using BBC app on Roku I wasn't asked the question.

Not a problem either way as have had licence fo over 50 years.

Nobody seems to know how they will eventually check.

Community Veteran

@nadger - Did it ask you enter your licence number at all? If not then the whole exercise is pointless and maybe the Player on your Roku needs to be updated.

Community Veteran

@Mook I agree with you that it is pointless until there is a way of monitoring it.

Personally I think those that access the service by iPlayer should pay. Why not?

nadger
Rising Star

@Mook On BBC site ( laptop) there were two options I do have licence/I don't have licence. Clicked I do and programme started playing.

I did check Roku for updates and it was up to date.

As apps are provided by BBC it's obviously there's nothing done albeit they've had time.

Will check one of my NowTV boxes in a while.

Community Veteran

Nothing on my NowTV as yet and it checked for updates last night.

I suspect the iPlayer query is merely a "polite reminder" at present.

JayG
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Of course all users of BBC material should pay - I have sometimes wondered what I was paying my licence fee for when I could access live streaming of some events and of course catch-up whether I had a licence or not.

Quite surprised to find out that 94% of UK households are already licensed (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-37226030), so there probably isn't that much revenue at stake, which is perhaps just as well - as has already been mentioned no one seems to know how it will be enforced.

Being required to supply a valid licence number could help, but linking that to the actual licence owner and iPlayer user could be tricky...

nadger
Rising Star

@HPsauce NowTV Smart Box and Roku Streaming Stick both have the question about licence when using iPlayer.

How many people will say NO to licence question when there are no other checks?

Community Veteran

And now both of mine ask the question. Maybe it's driven from the BBC servers rather than the App?

Community Veteran

I am of the same opinion too @artmo, if you use the service you should pay for it. @HPsauce, if it were being driven by the servers then surely @nadger's Roku would have prompted him? But who knows, it's still redundant regardless until they can enforce it and as @JayG hints at tying a licence number to a user would no doubt raise 'privacy' issues.

Community Veteran

it will be interesting to see the first proscecutions the BBC make. This will show if they have the ability to locate users who are not entitled to use the service.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

should be fairly easy to know who is watching iplayer, they just keep a log of the IP addresses.
however, how they can then link that to person on their licence database is what the problem will be.

the easiest way, IMO, would be to make all users sign in to iplayer before they can view, and their account must be linked to a valid tv licence at their home address. that would solve the problem of having to police access to the iplayer service.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

artmo wrote:

Personally I think those that access the service by iPlayer should pay. Why not?

Because if you have a licence you have already paid. The licence covers the whole property not just one TV set so why should people pay for use on each computer?

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

i don't believe artmo suggested anything of the sort.

he simply said if you access iplayer you should pay, and you pay by having a tv licence.

hitchhiker43
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Doesn't make any difference to me, internet here is to slow for iplayer anyway Smiley

Tp-link W8960n on longgggggggg line!