Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV Licence, a bargain at 40p per Day.

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

TV Licence, a bargain at 40p per Day.

I thinks it's a bargain, just think of everything you can receive for just 40p a day...

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one

Check the lower LHS panel for exemptions and reductions in fee.
The Search Facility is very useful.
Quotes from the Website:
Exemptions include...
On Demand
If you use the BBC iPlayer to watch BBC programmes after they have been broadcast either to download or via streaming on demand then you will not need a TV Licence.
Age 75 or over
You’re eligible to apply for a free over 75 TV Licence.

Satellite TV is NOT Exempt
Do I need a television licence if I only watch programmes received by satellite?
Under the Communications Act 2003 you need a TV Licence to receive or record television programmes.
This applies if they are received by a satellite, cable or land based transmitter.
If you are watching any satellite service controlled from within or outside the UK you must have a TV Licence.

Basically, if you watch Live, or Live Streamed TV, you need a Licence, for which a Fee is payable if you are not exempt, fully or partially.
41 REPLIES
TORPC
Grafter

Re: TV Licence, a bargain at 40p per Day.

Looks like someone broke it Tongue

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Last year Dr Who finished after six episodes with another six supposedly following later that year.
I never once saw them advertised by the beeb.
They can stuff their 40p where the timelord dares not travel  Crazy
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Missus watches no end of tv .... so she gets her 20p worth....
Me?  I want a 40 pence refund for two days a week, when Emmerdale isn`t on...The only progam I watch because I`m too busy doing other things. !  Cheesy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I guess 40p per day has a better ring to it than £145.50 per year?
I don't agree, I'm afraid.
They've got no legal powers to enter your property, but all they do is write bullying letters to you (so you believe they have).
Essentially you pay them for (I don't know what?) nothing bad to happen to you? Not that they can (see above).
If that's not an Extortion Racket, I don't know what is Roll eyes
Superuser
Superuser

Save yourself the 40,p a day and just watch catchup.
The TV licensing , like to scare people with there strongly worded marketing / speculative invoice letters.
They seem to think they have some kind of special powers, then you get the "we will be sending an enforcement officer" (bloke with a note pad) , if you remove  their implied right of access they can not legally come onto your property, if they do, they are breaking the law
Regards
Mike
Mike
Fixes: 125

I agree that 40p a day (less than £3 a week) is good value. Many people pay more than that for their newspaper which is full of rubbish, bias and ads  (and can get your fingers dirty Wink)
The issue of the so-called licensing bullies come up regularly. Not sure what the problem is really. If you need a license then buy one if you don't require it then don't buy one.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Superuser
Superuser

@Mav, The problem is , how they like to make things appear , first of all you get a nicely worded letter, if you don't respond to that, they get stronger worded. Then the change the font and make the letter red with all that final notice and enforcement officer  rubbish.
The only reason they do this is to scare people.
The first letter contains all the relevant information, why would there be a need to change it?, unless to scare people ,
Using words like "officer" and "enforcement" , they like to make people think then have powers like the police, when they do not
There is no law saying you have contact them  ( obviously unless you need a TV licence)
Here is an example of the letters the send out http://www.bbctvlicence.com/
Regards
Mike
Mike
Fixes: 125

I know all about their letters because I didn't have a TV from 2005 to 2009.
A little research back then gave me all the armour I needed and a quick call to them stopped any further contact till I got a TV whereby I bought a license.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

nadger
Rising Star

I get free licence but don't know if I'd bother to pay for one with the coverage one can get using Roku and various on demand services.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I watch BBC TV sometimes during the week and have the Today radio programme on during breakfast. I also make frequent use of the BBC news website. I think paying the licence fees for such usage is perfectly fair, though I think the BBC could be managed more efficiently with fewer overpaid managers and administrators.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

nice way to spin it.
is 40p a day a bargain if e.g. you only have £1 disposable cash a day?
meaning no tv licence to pay = a 40% increase in spending power.
is it a bargain if you dont watch the bbc or listen to bbc radio?
to put into perspective if everyone was forced to pay for sky sports, then the pirce would be lowered to the point i could also be considered a bargain, its only that price because there is people paying for it when they wouldn't do so by choice, and how cheap it seems is dependent on the income level.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

paying for it by direct debit you get to keep the law off your back (because they can fine you for not having one) although it used to be far better value for money than now (with granting student coverage whilst in shared accommodation etc) however its amused me that less people are paying the fee now than they were 20 years ago and since they contracted out the entire fee collection and enforcement operation to capita the price has risen far to much, what they should of done is said everyone needs one no exceptions and a lower (£50/year) fee without exemptions for being over 75 (who lets face it are the people sat all day in front of the goggle box with nothing else to do)  that would actually increase the amount of cash they raise significantly and stop a lot of people moaning about exemptions

to be honest though once they removed the radio portion from the licence they stopped having any value for a lot of people
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Fixes: 47

While working for a company I ordered a PCI TV Tuner card for my home computer but to be delivered to my place of work.
I duly received the card, took it home and fitted it to my PC.
2 months later a letter was received from the Licensing Authority advising that no record of a TV licence existed at the company address...they didn't have a licence or a TV at the time.
I had to write to them explaining that the receiving device was for use at my home and enclose a photocopy of my home licence.
We heard no more about it.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
DaveyH
Pro
Fixes: 7

That was repealed last year or the year before, and retailers are no longer required to pass on customers details to TVL