cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV Licence Renewal

Fixes: 47

TV Licence Renewal

I have just received my annual TV licence renewal notice (I renew annually by DD).
I have availed myself of the paperless option and supplied my email address.
On reading the enclosed information card O notice it says if you are 74 years old you may be eligible for a short term licence Shocked
I know what they mean but it does sound ominous.
It also mentions if you are registered blind you may qualify for a 50% concession.
So 50% of my enjoyment of the TV comes from the screen and the other 50% comes from the speakers Undecided
Finally it's nice to know the price is frozen until 2016 Smiley but no discount for saving them paper and postage by going paperless billing Sad
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
28 REPLIES
prichardson
Grafter

Re: TV License Renewal

Wouldn't the fact that you don't get a discount on paperless, come from the cost they need to recoup for installing paperless system Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: Strat

So 50% of my enjoyment of the TV comes from the screen and the other 50% comes from the speakers Undecided

Lucky you..... I don`t get that much enjoyment from tv ....  Undecided
maybe 10%.... includes both sound and vision..... Lips are sealed
that goes down to Nil percent when footy is on, instead of my programme.... Cry
thejudge
Grafter

Don't talk to me about TV Licensing!
I junked my television at the end of November 2006, and wrote to them to tell them that there was no equipment being put to licensable use at this address, and that I would let them know if the situation changed.
They wrote back to me saying that it wasn't clear what I was telling them. So I sent them a copy of the first letter.
Every year since between January and June, I receive an escalating series of threats from them. I never reply as I am not legally obliged to, but I do keep them for possible future use in a claim for harrassment which I might bring against them. I sometimes wish that they would try to make good on their threats, just so that I can show the swines up in court.

I was once threatened with court action for non payment of road tax.
The DVLA backed down when I personally showed them the current 12 months tax disc they sold to me three months previously.
I also wished I'd let them take me to court.
nadger
Rising Star

Just for reference you get a free 3 year TV licence at 75 and it starts from first day of month in which one is 75 - my birthday is last day of month so I gained a few days  Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I take it they don't do Black & White only licences any more.  I seem to recall several years ago that the Free licences for those who qualified were only for B&W (probably good enough for old people anyway Tongue , I'll get my coat now!)
[EDIT: license to correct spelling!]
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
James
Grafter

I'm fairly certain they still do.  I'm sure I saw it when I was sorting mine out earlier this year.

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/topics/tv-licence-types-and-costs-top2/
It costs £145.50 for a colour and £49.00 for a black and white TV Licence.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Is it technically even possible to 'recieve' a broadcast in B&W on digital?  Are any regions still on analogue?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

You might have a monochrome freeview box.  Grin

I could turn off the colour on my TV and save £96.50 Undecided
Trouble is I like watching Snooker Sad
community
Grafter

Yes me too...but
is there a button to turn off the commentators who go on and on and on and......ad nauseam.
Note:don't say turn off the sound, because then you lose the sound of the action on the table...on occasions I have been so miffed with the constant commentaries, I just had to turn off the sound and suffer.
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Ted Lowe, was an English snooker commentator for the BBC. His unmistakably husky, hushed tones earned him the nickname "Whispering Ted".
Born in Lambourn, Berkshire, Lowe was general manager of London's Leicester Square Hall, the home of professional billiards and snooker. He got his break one day when the BBC's regular commentator, Raymond Glendenning, succumbed to laryngitis. He was the commentator for the snooker television show Pot Black from 1969. He went on to become the "voice of snooker" and led the commentary in many tournaments. He also commentated in what is generally regarded as snooker's greatest final, that between Steve Davis and Dennis Taylor in the 1985 World Snooker Championship.
Lowe uttered the occasional on-air gaffe, his most famous quote being, "and for those of you who are watching in black and white, the pink is next to the green." He once told viewers that Fred Davis, struggling to rest one leg on the edge of the table in order to reach a long shot, "is getting on a bit and is having trouble getting his leg over"

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Arrrgh! Regardless of the language corruption by the inhabitants of a former colony....
"LICENCE" = the bit of paper which provides a record of the grant of a licence.
License = a verb describing the act of issuing a licence (noun).
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.