cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV Licence - Opt In or Opt Out?

Community Veteran

TV Licence - Opt In or Opt Out?

Today at work I received a letter from TV Licensing, it stated:
We already know from our database that your company, address does not have TV Licence.

Funny that, we don't have a TV receiving equipment either.
It then goes on to state:
Alternatively, if you are no using TV receiving equipment at this address, please confirm the form overleaf and return it in the envelope provided, so we can update your details. We will arrange a brief visit to confirm the situation, and then we will remove this address from our unlicensed database for a period of at least three years.

So I need to complete a form to tell them what they already know, and it will cost me a stamp and time to post it for the privilege. Oh, and I go from being an unlicensed premises on an unlicenced database to a an unlicenced premises on an unlicenced (but completed the form) database.
If then goes on to say:
Unfortunatley, if you do not respond to this letter, this address will be passed on to our Enforcement Division for further investigation.

So in other words they will send someone around to confirm that we don't have any TV receiving equipment.
So I can spend time and effort completing the form and the cost of a stamp for them to send someone around or I can do nothing and wait for the visit!
60 REPLIES
firefly2
Grafter

Re: TV Licence - Opt In or Opt Out?

Hi.. will you have any joy by going on line to tv licensing. few options on site perhaps Huh Undecided
itsme
Grafter

I would say a large percentage of companies would have a TV license because of the need to have a VHS/DVD for training videos or TV for video conferencing.
Also companies have to be careful nowadays not to mistakenly fall foul of the law as it's getting more common to have a TV card fitted in PC's
Fixes: 47

I bought a TV card for home but had it delivered to work. The licensing people wrote to me at work to inform me I needed a license at work. I emailed them to explain and they requested details of my home license which I sent on. My workplace was removed from their database.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

So if you buy a card for a PC the retailer passes on your details to a government database?

itsme
Grafter

Yes they are required to pass on your details.

They have to pass on the delivery address for all licensable receiving equipment.
I say Delivery address because the Invoice address I gave was my home which is licensed.
Community Veteran

I think if I were you and you are in the clear I'd ignore them and wait for them to call. Wink
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro

So either:-
I go to the shop in person or
My mate with the TV has it delivered to his house and I take it to a secret location - where I use it illegally  Smiley
Unfortunately I've already bought my TV licence Sad

I still don't know if my USB Tuner is covered by my home license wherever I use it.
What if I use it on my laptop in the car....not while driving I hasten to add Roll eyes
itsme
Grafter

If you buy it in person the retailer should ask for your address. Don't know whether shops will do it for TV cards but I know that Maplin does for Barebone DVD recorders.
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro

I could lie.

Community Veteran

I believe your home licence covers you to temporarily use your TV outside the home, in a holiday home for instance. Don't know what they define as 'temporary'.
geewizz
Grafter

It has been about 10 years since I had a tv set. I used to get these letters regularly and I ended up sending them a bill for administration costs incurred in replying to them. They removed my address from their database about two years ago. My invoice is still unpaid but it served the intended purpose.
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: axisofevil
I could lie.

Don't pay by credit card  Grin