cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV Licence Increase

Community Veteran

TV Licence Increase

The TV licence goes up again next month:

The BBC fee for a colour TV licence goes up to £145.50 next month.
The two per cent increase is part of a six-year funding deal agreed in 2007.
It was set at three per cent for the first two years and two per cent in years three, four and five – with 2010 being year four.
The rise, which is not being contested by the Conservatives and also sees the black and white licence go from £48 to £49, was brought into effect by an order laid down in the House of Commons yesterday.
The BBC confirmed last week that it plans to axe radio stations 6 Music and the Asian Network and slash spending on its website. Unions say the move threatens up to 600 jobs and warn of strikes to fight redundancies.
36 REPLIES
David_W
Rising Star

Re: TV Licence Increase

I'm sort of torn on the issue of a TV licence.  I no longer have Sky due to the inability to have a dish so my total viewing hours on the TV per week is roughly, lemme see, 4 hours per week, if that.  None of the TV channels in the UK cater to my needs, not even on Sky any longer.  I'm a subscriber to Crunchyroll which streams Japanese Anime and I watch more TV online than I do on the actual TV.
I watch Casualty and Holby, and some nights I'll watch Neighbours, that's about it, tell a lie I do watch Being Human except I watch that on the iPlayer.  If I tried to list all the Anime I've watched this year, I think PN's MySQL database would crash under the load  Crazy  seriously, I have my 13Gb email and still have 2 weeks left till it resets!
On the other hand, the BBC does produce some quality programmes, Being Human is without a doubt the best show on TV (even though the season is over), would the BBC have taken a risk on Being Human if they had to cater to advertisers?  Would we see more of the same rubbish the BBC sticks on at daytime (to buy or not to buy went downhill after the late Kristian left the show).
I guess in the future I'll wave goodbye to the TV and just consume from the internet which I believe is still exempt from requiring a licence.
quitescary
Dabbler

to be honest i used to be anti license fee until i started working in the tv industry, and i found out that progs like dr who, torchwood cost approx £17,000 p/day to film so when u break it down ur fee pays the tea girl for one week, thats a 1/4 of an episodeHuh?Huh
they make their money selling off the quality progs abroad to help fund the amount of hi quality progs that we might not like but are still filmed and produced in a high standard compared to itv etc!!!!!! Wink Smiley
Community Veteran

The licence fee works out at around 40p per day and that doesn't seem bad value.  I think the BBC does a good job. Smiley
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I mostly watch stuf on SKY, the BBC needs to cut back to just BBC 1, BBC 2, BBC 3, BBC News, BBC Radio 1, BBC Radio 2, BBC Radio 3, BBC Radio Tees, BBC Radio Wales and 1 or 2 more.
The BBC should sell off the rest of it, and cut the TV Licence.
Fixes: 104

Very blinkered view to your tastes there Gary, BBC4 offers quality programmes, BBC parliament has some interesting stuff and CBEBBIES is much better for kids than commercial stations.
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

And why would everyone else want to watch BBC Tees?  Do you mean local? (BBC Essex in my case).  If we're arguing for the BBC only to fill the gaps, then there are plenty of local alternatives, and I agree that Radio 4 certainly has a lot of good stuff on it .  (I also listen to Radio 5 live for similar but a bit lighter output).
If we want the BBC to set the standard, then there's a good argument for them to expand.
John
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

Quote from: adiewoo
Very blinkered view to your tastes there Gary, BBC4 offers quality programmes, BBC parliament has some interesting stuff and CBEBBIES is much better for kids than commercial stations.

BBC parliament is one of them that should be sold off it is a waste of money to the TV Licence payer, and so is CBeebies plus the web site should be sold off.
By the way Children are not kids, kids are baby nanny goats.   Angry
By hulls: "Do you mean local?"
No
By hulls: " If we want the BBC to set the standard, then there's a good argument for them to expand."
No there is not a good argument for the BBC to expand, if we want the BBC to set the standard it must go back to it's roots.
nadger
Rising Star

Quote from: artmo
The licence fee works out at around 40p per day and that doesn't seem bad value. 
Put that way I have to agree. Becomes even better value in 3 months time when freebie arrives  Cheesy
Fixes: 104

Quote from: Midnight
BBC parliament is one of them that should be sold off it is a waste of money to the TV Licence payer, and so is CBeebies plus the web site should be sold off.

In your opinion, some of us that have interest in what goes on like to watch it.
CBeebies is the cheapest BBC channel there is.
And if I choose to use a colloquialism that's what I'll do, I choose to respect your request here "Please remember that I am Dyslexic wen replying" show the same courtesy.

Will Moderate For Thanks
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

@adiewoo, I was not been incourtys to you, but Children are not kids the expression kids cums from america.
Community Veteran

By the way Children are not kids, kids are baby nanny goats.   Angry

I have a few kids that may recent being referred to as nanny goats Wink Cheesy
On topic as with everything else the price goes up. Preferring programmes that are not broken up with adverts, I choose to watch BBC programmes live. Other channels usually get recorded . So I have no problem with the fee, only TV Licensing themselves who believe you are guilty until proven innocent, but that is another topic.
Community Veteran

MC - Why on earth should the north east have it's own local station, if no-one else has?!
By hulls: "Do you mean local?"
No

Or should BBC local radio for the North East be foisted on the rest of us, wherever we live?
As for the Parliament channel, no-one would buy it, it's a niche audience (which is what the BBC charter is all about), and if they did buy it, there'd have to be adverts, can you just imagine it, GB is just about to answer a question (for once) and we cut to an advert!
I also detest Americanisms as much as the next man, but "kids" has been colloquial English for at least 50 years, even I accept it, and at least it's better than "data" being pronounced "dayta", and worse still "kidz"
Edit: Anyway a nanny is a female goat, are only female offspring of a goat kids?
J
Community Veteran

Quote from: hulls

, there'd have to be adverts, can you just imagine it, GB is just about to answer a question (for once) and we cut to an advert!

It could be a very long commercial John Wink Wink
I rather enjoy BBC Parliament and I often find good progs now on BBC3 and BBC4.  I wouldn't want to see them disappear.  It allows a bit of experimental broadcasting that may not be appropriate to the main channels.
Community Veteran

Quote from: dgwebb
Being Human is without a doubt the best show on TV (even though the season is over), would the BBC have taken a risk on Being Human if they had to cater to advertisers?

Ooh glad someone else likes it as much as I do. I wasn't too taken by the first series, but I've really really enjoyed the second… think I might've even enjoyed it more than The Doctor Who episodes over Christmas about which so much fuss was made. Stuff like that is exactly what the digital channels are good for, of course – trying out new things that may not be mainstream (or good) enough to get a place on the terrestrial channels. Though I do remember series 1 being repeated in a late-evening slot on BBC1 a few months ago… will be interesting to see how well series 2 goes down then if they do the same.