Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV Licence Fee Increase

VileReynard
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 18

Re: TV Licence Fee Increase

There's plenty of day time television in the early evening.

The stuff in the daytime is pure unadulterated trash.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

RobPN
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 5

@DaveyH wrote:

Oh, and with decriminalisation comes a much lower burden of proof, bailiffs, CCJs, Earning Attachment Orders etc.etc

Who do you suppose it will be that's most affected by it?

And I predict cases will sky rocket...

If you're referring to the unemployed licence non-payers (who can't afford to pay the licence fee), then there won't be any Attachment Of Earnings Orders issued against them, or self-employed people for that matter.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

So the BBC can send a reporting team to Jamaica to interview deported criminals. But they can't send a team to Paris to report on riots that have been happening for over a year.

So much for impartiality given they have a permanent 'reporter' in France. Hugh Schofield.

Auntie needs a kick up her bum.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

And we seem to be getting a mass of overdose reporting about the American Elections....who the (censored) is interested in that ?
Fine if it was the final election but that's months away and we already know the outcome.

And whilst on this hobby horse what's all this American football that seems to be making a increasing appearance on our screens....enough rubbish for us to be watching as it is.

wotsup
Seasoned Champion

@Minivanman wrote:

So the BBC can send a reporting team to Jamaica to interview deported criminals. But they can't send a team to Paris to report on riots that have been happening for over a year.

That would involve broadcasting bad news about an EU member state - not on the Biased Broadcasting Companies agenda at all...   But interviewing deported 'victims' in Jamaica is right up their street, a chance to take a pop at Conservatives as the 'nasty party'.. ( no matter what the cost to licence payers ).

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Breaking:

Downing Street has vowed to scrap the licence fee and make viewers pay a subscription, according to the Sunday Times. The paper reports that the corporation could be forced to downsize, sell off most of it's radio stations and "massively curtail" its online presence.

Blimey O'Reilly, and I've just read all that...on the BBC online.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

That will be good news for most of us, just what the BBC wants a kick up the backside.

I doubt a full subscription will be no higher than the current fee, plenty of choice for those who want paid for channels and plenty of free channels available.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@VileReynard 

Not exactly unadulterated trash, although granted some of it can be a bit dire - especially those Australian soaps which my Mrs just loves but which I avoid like the plague.

There is always BBC iPlayer. 😉

Jonpe
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 9

Does the BBC do Australian soaps?  I think they showed Neighbours decades ago, but that's now moved to Channel 5 I think.

VileReynard
Seasoned Champion

So the commercial advert stations will have to pay the BBC large amounts of dosh if they want to use the BBC's broadcasting facilities?

Will this government sell off all our facilities, in favour of multinationals?

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@Jonpe 

Maybe not, I just presumed they did but others of that genre are certainly on there during the day... which just goes to show how much attention I pay to any of 'em. 

@VileReynard 

"Will this government sell off all our facilities, in favour of multinationals?"

And if they did, will past licence/tax payers get any of their money back. 

Fat chance would be my guess.

Jonpe
Aspiring Hero

@VileReynard wrote:

So the commercial advert stations will have to pay the BBC large amounts of dosh if they want to use the BBC's broadcasting facilities?

Are they not paying now?

VileReynard
Seasoned Champion

I expect so - but if the BBC is faced with extinction, its going to be demanding much larger payments.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@Jonpe 

"Are they not paying now?"

They do indeed and they BBC makes literally millions from selling television content, or units as they call them.

Planet Earth for example sold to hundreds of 'markets' breaking international ratings records in the process As to what their almost 100 year old catalogue must hold, well that's anybodies guess. 

Jonpe
Aspiring Hero

If they're making that much, why do they need to 'screw' the elderly for nearly £160 a year?