Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV Licence Fee Increase

RobPN
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 5

Re: TV Licence Fee Increase

@VileReynard wrote:

The BBC do not encrypt programmes on iPlayer - although they do mangle it a bit.

https://github.com/get-iplayer/get_iplayer/wiki/installation (Linux & Windows) will allow you to download from iPlayer permanently.

If you want to do your downloading via iPlayer, the BBC will enforce those time limits.

In that case I was wrong in assuming they encrypted the downloaded files.  I made that assumption on the basis that the time-limited files were unusable after time-expiry without a third party 'intervention'.  It's been a long time since I downloaded anything from iPlayer, even present day streaming on my TV is rare and only used if I've missed recording something.

RobPN
Aspiring Hero

@DaveyH wrote:

@RobPN wrote:

@VileReynard wrote:

There is always Bit Torrent. 😀

There certainly is, and although I don't know the present situation with BBC iPlayer, there was a time when you could actually download content for later viewing which involved using the BBCs proprietary BitTorrent client.  ISTR programs which were downloaded were 'time-limited' and the files were not playable after the time had expired - unless you ran them through another third-party program which would re-save them with the encryption removed.

Perhaps that's what you were referring to, after all BitTorrent itself is perfectly legal to use, it's just that it has a bad name with those who think that it is used purely for piracy.  If, OTOH the alternative was being suggested, ... watch out ...  Wink

P2P is the term you're looking for, since BitTorrent is but one player in the game and therefore ignorant to use it as a catch-all/generic term...

@DaveyH 

You're quite right about that but I referred to BitTorrent as that was what was being discussed.  I remember using various methods of P2P over the years such as Napster and WinMX in the early days, but AFAIK these days BitTorrent is probably the most popular method used, BICBW, so all too easy for some of us to refer to it in.generic terms.

IPlayer originally used Kontiki for P2P, but was phased out over a decade ago.

ISTR it caused complaints from both the public and ISPs for being a massive bandwidth hog as it continued to seed in the background even after closing down the iPlayer application

I didn't know that it was Kontiki (which I don't recall hearing of)  but I do recall noticing that when I ran the program (and wrongly assumed it was BitTorrent as you've pointed out) it used to keep seeding, as you say, and needed a process to be killed in Windows.  Possibly that process was called Kontiki but I've been to bed a few times since then so I don't remember.

The program didn't live more than a day or two on my PC before I removed it as it was a PITA.

Edit:  typo

DaveyH
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 11

@wotsup wrote:

Interesting article

https://www.conservativehome.com/thetorydiary/2020/02/decriminalisation-of-non-payment-of-the-licenc...

By interesting you mean biased, plain wrong and conforming to your own prejudiced and ignorant views, presumably!?

"Most debt collecting is a civil rather than a criminal matter. Why should there be imprisonment for failing to pay a TV licence, but not for an electricity bill or being behind with the rent? The usual minimum threshold before someone is forced into bankruptcy is £5,000. So why should the more severe punishment of imprisonment be applied for owing much less than that with the TV Licence? (Or indeed for Council Tax?) A total of 129,466 people were prosecuted for not having a licence in 2018, although only five were imprisoned. Often it is a single mother who is dragged through the courts"

NOBODY has ever been sent to prison for non payment of the TV Licence. Not one. Nada! To claim otherwise is [-Censored-]s.

A small handful have been convicted and fined then refused or failed to pay the fine, which is a different matter entirely....

RobPN
Aspiring Hero

Didn't someone say earlier that imprisonment was for non-payment of the fine, not the licence itself?

Edit:  Ii appears you've edited your post to add that between me reading it and posting my reply.

wotsup
Seasoned Champion

It is pure semantics to say people not jailed for non payment of the licence but for non payment of the fine.... the fact that it is a criminal rather than civil offence when people do not pay the fine is the real problem....

VileReynard
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 18

Speeding is a criminal offence - perhaps it ought to be a civil offence if no damage results from it?

How about drunk driving - should that be a criminal offence?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

TTman
All Star
Fixes: 1

Changing tack slightly.....the BBC has increased the licence by £3. Wouldnt it be better if they had increased the licence by say £5 and kept the free licence for the over 75's. better PR ?HuhHuh

DaveyH
Aspiring Champion

The Government sets the cost of the License fee, not the BBC....

Community Veteran

Just imagine if non payment at Plusnet was a criminal offence.

With the current billing software there would be a backlog at the courts and a special jail would have to be built for all the "offenders".

I see the above as being the same as the BBC so why is the BBC treated differently.

VileReynard
Seasoned Champion

Currently, Plusnet can disconnect you without any court action, civil or criminal.

DaveyH
Aspiring Champion

@wotsup wrote:

It is pure semantics to say people not jailed for non payment of the licence but for non payment of the fine.... the fact that it is a criminal rather than civil offence when people do not pay the fine is the real problem....

Not semantics. Fact

Oh, and with decriminalisation comes a much lower burden of proof, bailiffs, CCJs, Earning Attachment Orders etc.etc

Who do you suppose it will be that's most affected by it?

And I predict cases will sky rocket...

VileReynard
Seasoned Champion

Nice little earner for solicitors, debt collection agencies etc though.

TTman
All Star

@DaveyH  OK . But whoever sets the price rise, win win situation for both BBC and government. Looks like they are protecting the over 75'sSmiley .Brownie points

Community Veteran

It was stated on LBC this morning that non payment of the licence fee would not have been the only issue involving the 5 people sent to prison. Other issues would also have been involved and the 5 people would have been in court a number of times before being sent to prison.

/

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

If they really wanted to protect the over the 75s they'd put more daytime television on in the evening. I miss so much when I go for my after noon nap, it's discrimination plain and simple. They should also put more daytime television on in the evening. I miss so much........

👴👵