Fixes: 1

Re: TV Licence Fee Increase

Please guys, don't encourage him!

homer.jpg

idonno
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

@rEUnite wrote: If you wish to watch, you pay. It seems some on here want their penny and their bun. 

I don't have any problem with paying and watching. Its the paying and not wanting to watch that I don't like. My viewing of BBC channels is minimal and yet I still have to pay full price for it. Also why is the BBC involved with the internet - aided by public subscription i.e. the licence fee? Maybe its time they shut down bbc.co.uk and the 'com site as well. After all, their content is available to those that haven't paid the licence fee.

Unfortunately for the beeb, younger people do much the same as me, tend to stream stuff nowadays. One beauty of streaming is I can pick and choose what I want to watch instead of having programmes rammed down my throat. I don't even have to record anything, case of just pick it up where I left off.

Ever helpful. :grin: Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
RobPN
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 5

@TTman 

Yep, sure!  Thumbs_Up

The other which @RobC @rEUnite is insinuating in his attempted wind-up doesn't bear thinking about for any normal person.  Shocked

VileReynard
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 18

I can record broadcast programmes and watch them at a time of my choosing - but this is difficult to do with streamed ones.

So I have control over broadcast programmes whereas the streamed ones can be withdrawn at any time.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Reading the BBC news this morning - which love or hate them at times is always my first port of call, and it seems that over 75s on pension credit will be eligible for a free licence, and there is a move to decriminalize non-payment. 

Bit of a curates egg, but there we have it.

Jonpe
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 9

@rEUnite wrote:

If you can cope with not watching live TV as it is broadcast, and not using BBC iPlayer you can legitimately not have a TV licence. Simple, no?

Even if you don't watch TV as it is broadcast but record it, you still need a licence.

rEUnite
Rising Star

@Jonpe 

Yes, you are correct. I should have included recording from live broadcasts. With catch up streaming services available for so many channels these days, I don’t think that is a major issue, although it must be said that some catch up services only have programmes available for a limited time after broadcast, so it isn’t a perfect substitute for recording.

VileReynard
Seasoned Champion

There is always Bit Torrent. 😀

Jonpe
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 9

What I object to is having to pay one broadcaster for watching another broadcaster's output (whom I pay again via the purchase of anything product placed/advertised etc. on their channels).  It's like Tesco demanding I pay them a fee even if I only shop in Sainsbury's.

rEUnite
Rising Star

@Jonpe 

Yes when you put it like that, it is anachronistic. Mind you, I’d happily pay not to have to shop at my local Tesco but it is the only supermarket of size for some distance.

RobPN
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 5

@VileReynard wrote:

There certainly is, and although I don't know the present situation with BBC iPlayer, there was a time when you could actually download content for later viewing which involved using the BBCs proprietary BitTorrent client.  ISTR programs which were downloaded were 'time-limited' and the files were not playable after the time had expired - unless you ran them through another third-party program which would re-save them with the encryption removed.

Perhaps that's what you were referring to, after all BitTorrent itself is perfectly legal to use, it's just that it has a bad name with those who think that it is used purely for piracy.  If, OTOH the alternative was being suggested, ... watch out ...  Wink

@rEUnite wrote:

Your post seems to be in breach of the forum rules @wotsup, specifically the rule that:

• Discussion of how to illegally file share, stream or bypass copyright is not allowed on these forums.

I have reported it accordingly.

Edit:  typo

VileReynard
Seasoned Champion

The BBC do not encrypt programmes on iPlayer - although they do mangle it a bit.

https://github.com/get-iplayer/get_iplayer/wiki/installation (Linux & Windows) will allow you to download from iPlayer permanently.

If you want to do your downloading via iPlayer, the BBC will enforce those time limits.

DaveyH
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 11

@RobPN wrote:

@VileReynard wrote:

There certainly is, and although I don't know the present situation with BBC iPlayer, there was a time when you could actually download content for later viewing which involved using the BBCs proprietary BitTorrent client.  ISTR programs which were downloaded were 'time-limited' and the files were not playable after the time had expired - unless you ran them through another third-party program which would re-save them with the encryption removed.

Perhaps that's what you were referring to, after all BitTorrent itself is perfectly legal to use, it's just that it has a bad name with those who think that it is used purely for piracy.  If, OTOH the alternative was being suggested, ... watch out ...  Wink

P2P is the term you're looking for, since BitTorrent is but one player in the game and therefore ignorant to use it as a catch-all/generic term...

IPlayer originally used Kontiki for P2P, but was phased out over a decade ago.

ISTR it caused complaints from both the public and ISPs for being a massive bandwidth hog as it continued to seed in the background even after closing down the iPlayer application

wotsup
Seasoned Champion

VileReynard
Seasoned Champion

I refuse to read your Tory diary.

Please stop.