cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV Licence Fee Increase

TeeGee
Pro

Re: TV Licence Fee Increase

The BBC may still have some elements of Inform, Educate, and Entertain but it also has too many political and social agendas to justify a compulsory poll tax.

In this digital age there is no practical reason why it cannot be made PPV with perhaps just BBC1 being FTA. You pay for Netflix and other streaming services so why should iPlayer be free too? There is also absolutely no logic in having to pay the BBC to be allowed to watch German. French, Spanish and Italian (to name just a few) television programmes via satellite while in the UK.

There is a further paradox insofar as one cannot listen to sports commentary on the radio if you are outside the UK. You have to go to the nearest bar and actually watch it live on TV!  What a farce.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

@TeeGee 

Just put a satellite dish up anywhere in Europe, and Bob's your Auntie BBC. 

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@artmo 

And it still only works out at 44p a day.

It might be "only" 44p a day but that's not the point, the point is we have no choice if we want to watch it and as a national broadcasting company people do want to watch it - so why the heck do we have to pay,.

Take it out of tax, or take it out and shoot it. 

The corporation has a long, proud and distinguished history but it has now become muddied and tired. It needs to either ship out or shape up and be free to view - not as a state propaganda machine eihther or one that likes to blow it own biased trumpet.

If Finland and Iceland can abolish their TV licence fee then so can we failing which, how about holding a public consultation as they did in Ireland to replace the TV licence fee with a new public service broadcasting charge... whatever the heck that is. 

rEUnite
Rising Star

@Minivanman wrote:

the point is we have no choice if we want to watch it

You do, of course, have a choice of whether or not to watch BBC. You also have a choice as to whether or not you buy a TV licence. If you can cope with not watching live TV as it is broadcast, and not using BBC iPlayer you can legitimately not have a TV licence. Simple, no?

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Read again @rEUnite 

"...the point is we have no choice if we want to watch it"

Simple? Obviously not... for some.

rEUnite
Rising Star

My post now edited for clarity. My point is, that you do have the choice of whether or not to watch. If you wish to watch, you pay. It seems some on here want their penny and their bun. 

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@rEUnite 

Clarity not needed, you quoted me correctly and assumed incorrectly.... in other words you got it wrong.

rEUnite
Rising Star

Ah, a mind reader? I guess that’s a brexiter speciality, what with all that mind reading about just what people meant when they voted for brexit.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@rEUnite 

Not at all, you got it wrong so why not man up and admit it. 

TeeGee
Pro

@rEUnite 

I forgot to mention in my previous post that despite their commitment to public bradcasting the BBC refused to broadcast Boris' Brexi speech.

I am sure Remainers were delighted at this lack of bias towards Leave!

rEUnite
Rising Star

@TeeGee wrote:

the BBC refused to broadcast Boris' Brexi speech.

It wasn’t quite as simple as that, though, was it @TeeGee? Even the brexiters’ favourite The Telegraph claimed it was Johnson who had cut out the BBC:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/01/29/downing-st-cuts-bbc-prime-minister-films-brexit-address-...

rEUnite
Rising Star

@Minivanman wrote:

man up and admit it. 

A very gender specific request @Minivanman! Still, not to worry, I’ll be happy to oblige once the NHS have used lots of your taxes to fund that very expensive gender reassignment treatment 😂

RobPN
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 5

@rEUnite wrote:

A very gender specific request @Minivanman! Still, not to worry, I’ll be happy to oblige once the NHS have used lots of your taxes to fund that very expensive gender reassignment treatment 😂

Well that's @Minivanman well and truly castigated.

On the other hand ... well I won't go there.  Roll_eyes

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@rEUnite 

"A very gender specific request..."

Grasping at straws.... or falling snowflakes.

The unassigned use of the word 'man' is neither gender or sex specific.

You really do need to research even just a little before you post. 

TTman
All Star

@RobPN Are you sure you didnt mistype castigated????Evil