cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV Licence Fee Increase

Community Veteran

TV Licence Fee Increase

The BBC has announced that the TV licence fee will be increased by £3 to £157.50 from 1st April. No statement has been made in respect of the 'free' licences currently enjoyed by people age 75 or more.

142 REPLIES 142
jab1
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: TV Licence Fee Increase

Well, they do have to find a way to fund Tony Halls' pension - and his replacements salary. 😁

John
VileReynard
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 18

Bargain!

Licence goes up by 2%, my pension goes up by 3% in April.

Progammes cost money - hopefully they'll be able to cut back on this "reality" trash.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

RobPN
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 5

@VileReynard wrote:

Bargain!

Licence goes up by 2%, my pension goes up by 3% in April.

And if you're on the state pension I believe that goes up by nearer 4%.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Even those that are still convinced it is good value for money must realise that every rise makes it less value for money.

Personally I think it's beyond poor. Never watch it so wouldn't miss it if it went down the plug hole tomorrow.

Community Veteran

Maybe BJ will intervene and sort out the free licence for the 75+.

And it still only works out at 44p a day.

Champnet
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

good value last year watching the comedy show live from the Parliament theatre....

198kHz
Hero
Fixes: 17

The BBC's annual income is around £5bn.

If the 'reality' shows, highly paid 'stars', chasing ratings and all the other fripperies were dispensed with, they could revert to being what they were set up to be - a Public Service Broadcaster - at a fraction of the cost.

To err is human, but to really foul things up requires an algorithm.
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

My guess is they will scrap the over 75 rule and replace it with a free television licence for those on low income and/or on pension credit. 

More Corbyn than Conservative, but at least those rich world cruise sailing high income home owning pensioners we all hear about can afford it, apparently.

Boris might not care much for the BBC but those books need to be balanced besides which, he's had the 'wealthy elderly pensioner' vote - so he should worry. 

VileReynard
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 18

My guess is that if you are over 75 and on Pension Credit you will get a free TV licence.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@VileReynard 

Ah yes, that sounds more likely. 

Community Veteran

How is pension credit worked out? Not come across it personally.

Jonpe
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 9

As far as I know you also get free dental care if you are on any kind of means-tested benefits, but what about the borderline cases where, if you deduct the amount spent on dental care, they would be eligible for benefits?  E.g. if your income is £100 higher than the threshold for getting additional benefits and you need dental treatment in band 3 (£269.30), you will effectively be £169.30 poorer than someone whose income is just under the threshold and still not be eligible for additional benefits.

Champnet
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

@artmo wrote:

How is pension credit worked out? Not come across it personally.

If you've managed to plan for your retirement - don't bother looking it up......

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@artmo 

Plenty out there on the web about pension credit but as @Champnet said if you have planned for your retirement there would be no point in you looking it up. 

Having said that, I did plan for my retirement by paying into a private pension scheme and of course the obligatory state pension. Unfortunately I Iost most but not quite all of my private pension in 2008 and to cut along story short,  I was able to 'get out' at sixty and as a result became eligible for an early retirement pension supported by pension credit. More to it than that, but that's the gist of it.

Still on pension credit, still not made 75... and still might have to pay for that bloody television licence!

Oh, and don't get me started on the fact that my Mrs has to wait and extra eight years before she gets her state pension.