cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV Ghost

valart
Grafter

TV Ghost

I bought a small screen Toshiba tv about 4 months ago and on four occasions it has turned itself on and we are not in that room at the time,I have not stored any program in the timer menu I wondered if anyone has had this happen to their tv.
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: TV Ghost

Is the remote a standard infra red one?  If so there may be a reflection of some sort on the same frequency that's causing it.  We used to have a remote for the music deck, and every time we changed the TV channel the deck turned on.
John
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Were there power interruptions? I had a Phillips TV that if in standby at the time of a power interruption would come on when power was restored.
Not your model but not an unknown problem with Toshiba
"I bought this TV, and it turns itself on from standby at random times of the day and night.
I returned it for replacement, and the 2nd unit is exactly the same, and I've now returned that one too !
I have had dialogue with Toshiba over this, who are unable to help other than comment "we've had a few reports of this problem". I'm now shopping for another brand. Beware ! "
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Toshiba-22DV615DB-22-inch-Widescreen-Freeview/dp/B0021TPO18
N/A

I recall that jmdlp has or had a TV Ghost so I hope that she pops in this evening to explain.  You are certainly not on your own it seems.
And yes, I do believe in ghosts generally, having seen one some years ago.
jmd
Grafter

Yes, my old TV, a Loew, used to turn itself on along with the Humax PVR!  Bit disconcerting.  Decided it was when there were any updates to Humax in some instances but obviously not everytime as it would also do it when there was not an update.  So decided that somebody nearby had a remote with similar frequency or something.............................. it got to the point where I used to put my remote controls in kitchen facing outwards at night!
so far the Samsung has not done so but the Sky box has but again I think it was when it was being updated................... and I wondered why the green light was on when I knew I had switched it off a couple of hours previously.  This was during the daytime.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: poppy
And yes, I do believe in ghosts generally, having seen one some years ago.
This Intrigues me as I have seen one too.
N/A

Ghostly goings-on have been a bit of a feature of my life for the past few months as I have been helping a member of my own forum to set up her own paranormal one.
Obviously, I have had to register having been involved from the beginning, but I don't really know much about the subject.
here is the link for EverythingGhost in case you are interested.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Must be said I've lost confidence in Toshiba over the last few years. I had 2 incidents with them over a netbook I purchased. It was advertised with a 56k modem which it did not have. Admittedly they did give me back money to buy a dongle but how many other customers lost out? They initially  tried to deny it but luckily I'd taken a photo of the in-store sign on my phone at the time of purchase Wink
Secondly it had a virus recently and when I rang them up to ask how to boot into dos without a floppy drive so i could manually delete the files which Avast wouldn't they told me they didn't know. I was shocked that toshiba couldn't tell me how to boot dos on one of their own machines.
I had a third issue with them over the Ram's bus speed but when the point was put to them they came up with some sneaky software which conveniently showed the stated speed despite other tests I'd run proving it not to.
If it helps, our panasonic TV has turned out to be a huge pile of dollop. It suffers badly with the goggle eyes effect which apparently should be fixed by a quick reset and retune (of course when tried it wasn't - only an idiot could think that a picture display problem on a digital TV could be caused by the tuning).
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

This isn't really relevant but we had a Toshiba Microwave that lasted us 26 years & used every day with the light bulb being changed only once.
Seems odd that years ago firms could make things that lasted for years yet these same firms seem to make items that fail within a set time period, kettles never last us more than 2 years at most & fridge freezers seem to pack up after 5 - 6 years, washing machines 7 years.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

@gleneagles: On that point, we bought a 2nd hand washing machine moons ago which was clearly rather old for its time even then but we were (and still are) skint and couldn't afford anything else. It's still going now (touch wood) and has been a very good reliable machine. You are correct though, firms which could make the Volvo equivalent of anything now seem to make stuff which drops dead within a few years and I've even heard of newer Volvos being less reliable than the old brick types. It seems that despite the world population growing at an incredible rate the manufacturers simply don't have enough people to sell to and thus make the stuff with less care in order that it will fail sooner. The amount of stuff that has been on my local freecycle which has gone wrong is beyond belief. I've had loads of stuff from freeglers which I've brought home dead and fixed. Without a doubt a lot of the older stuff is best and thats why I never rule out 2nd hand stuff even if its a bit steeply priced.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Denzil
Grafter

MY TV does that sometimes as well, although it isn't a Toshiba, just some generic brand nobody has heard of. It is definitely the remote, as it only ever happens if I leave the remote pointing roughly towards the TV. The solution - when I am not watching it it gets turned off at the wall switch! Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I seem to recall there was a case in the papers a few years ago regarding a woman who caused all the electric items nearby to go haywire in her presence, not sure what the outcome of the research was but I don't think it was a hoax. To be clear about this I don't think there was any claim it had to do with spirits, ghosts or anything in that line but it's easy to see how some people might try and suggest a link.