cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV Engineer wanted

penneck
Grafter

TV Engineer wanted

Not sure I should be doing this here. If I'm breaking the rules, say so, and I wont do it again.
I looking for advice from a TV engineer about a problem I have with a Ferguson FTV28DFW5 TV. If I get the TV to re-install the Freeview TV channels, it goes through the process and finds everything up to and including all the radio channels. The top channel number it finds is something like 725. However, if having done that, I turn off the TV, it forgets the channels above number 305. This has been happening for some time, and is getting worse - for a long time it was only forgetting those channels above 704.
Is this likely to be an easy fix? Expensive?
Thanks
12 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: TV Engineer wanted

Silly question, but are you sure it doesn't have something like a separate TV mode and Radio mode and you've switched it into some sort of restrictive display? Some of my Freeview kit is like that.
itsme
Grafter

Have you a button on the remote marked TV/Radio?  On same decoders they will list the TV and Radio stations seperately controlled by the TV/Radio button.
penneck
Grafter

Your suggestions are good suggestions and well worth making, but my TV doesn't have separate TV and Radio control.
As far as I can tell, that wouldn't explain why, after I have done a new automatic search for didital transmitters, I could select any Freeview channel right up to, and including, channel 725. When I turned the TV off, the TV forgot channels 708 to 725, by the time I turned the TV back on again. This was the original symptom of this fault, but then it progressed to forgetting channels 704 to 725, and now it forgets channels above 305.
scootie
Grafter

have you had a go at forcing a firmware update.
itsme
Grafter

In your first post you stated that the top up channels start at 725. Looking at my decoded the topup channels are 38 to 41. TV channels are 1 to 305 and radio stations are between 700 and 728. In the past I have problems with channels numbering and channels not showing. Eventually found the problem was the fact that I hide channels. So had to go into the settings and do a reset on the numbering/hidden pograms and then do a station scan.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

Ummm, no he said top channel meaning highest number, but mine is 728, also got 727 (no 726).
OP, are All the other channels in the correct LCN?
penneck
Grafter

"Itsme" is wrong - I didn't say "top up". I said "top", (as "Anotherone" corrected). However, I did say my top channel was 725 - I may have been wrong, cos I was working from memory, so I wont argue about the top channel number being 725 or 728. The important bit of my thread was that my TV was forgetting more and more channels that a fresh installation would put back, and that the "forgotten" was always the top channels and this was getting worse. I was asking for guidance on why this was happening, and whether it was going to be difficult/expensive to get it fixed
Regards
pierre_pierre
Grafter

get an external free view box, as little as £20 in some places
itsme
Grafter

I suggested looking at the settings to see if you had overridden the LCN. If you are sure that you have not then dump the TV or pay for someone to repair it.
Community Veteran

Some years ago I had a problem with a Ferguson VCR.  Phoned them up and they talked me through it and sorted my problem.  Worth a ring.
Community Veteran

Most tv's only store X number of channels we had the same problem if you rescan it adds some channels a second time once it reaches its maxium number of channels say 150 it cant store anymore. There is normal an option to delete all channels and start again try that
penneck
Grafter

Well done Samuria. Hit the nail right on the head. I did a reload of the channels, then went through the list getting rid of the channels I cannot use (TopUpTV, etc) plus those we never watch/listen to (all of the radio channels above 710), and now the TV doesn't forget those channels numbered in the 700s.
Thankyou. Have a pleasant Easter