cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV Aerial cabling query

Fixes: 47

TV Aerial cabling query

I'm cabling up 3 rooms with coax for terrestrial.
I would very much like to run the cable from the aerial into the 1st wall socket, out of the back of that into the 2nd and then into the 3rd. Preferring this to running 3 cables, one to each.
I can't find  a wall socket that allows pass through.
Has anyone come across such a wall socket.
I've done it before elsewhere with wall sockets and 'Y' splitters but it's messy.
Any other solutions gratefully accepted.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: TV Aerial cabling query

would you be running the three tv`s at the same time?
I tried to run two tv`s  ( with terrestrial freeview ). from the same aerial socket... but it did not work...  even with a "plug in the wall type booster" on the second one....
we have tv in two bedrooms upstairs, and the main tv downstairs.... when the aerial guy came... he cabled from the aerial masthead amplifier to each tv location... perfect pics on each tv...
You could check with your local tv shop to see how they would recommend you do it......
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

That isn't a very good idea as the signal strength will really reduce
However - if you think your basic strength is adequate - you could use a standard wall socket and just connect the two cores to the socket connection which is usually a screw type
Seeing the post above - trying a twin outlet socket doesn't work because the second socket is usually designed for radio etc. and is filtered
I did it by rewiring the twin socket internally to give a straight connection between the two

There is a masthead booster and according to my meter the signal is very strong.
I have successfully connected 4 TVs in the same manner before with a similar signal strength.
@Jim wall sockets have a centre core connection and a saddle clamp for the ground. The saddle clamp is usually only big enough to accommodate a single cable.
I may be able to jury rig it but I wouldn't have confidence in it.
(Your edit noted and I'll give it some thought.)
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Linking the sockets in series is asking for trouble as you will double/triple terminating the cable as you plug devices in.  It *may* work but it's a bodge and there's potentially problems in the future if RF channels move in your area and reflections on the cable cause issues.
Community Veteran

It would probably be best to run 3 cables from the booster rather than a trail of cables.
I accidentally created a house sized loop of co-ax which went around my phone line and that caused a 4Mbit/s drop in speed.
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

You are correct about the saddle clamp but that is designed to clamp over the outer sheath of the coax
Stripping them back to the inner sheaths should allow you to clamp over the pair
Of course you could use a standard Y splitter - an F type may be more secure - inside a deeper box
Responding to the post above - that is what I did but I ran the cables through the roof space then down the outside walls to the point where they were needed

At the previously mentioned 4 TV setup I started with a 79dBuV signal. At the far end with all 4 TVs running I measured 72dBuV still more than adequate.
At the house I'm looking at just now the drop wire from the aerial has an 86dBuV signal which should be more than enough for 3 TVs.
I did come across this wall socket which I could link internally.
Having had another look at the house layout I may be able to reroute and get away with 1 double socket and feed the other two rooms with a splitter.
BTW They were quoted £350 to cable up 4 rooms including a new 4 way masthead amplifier/splitter.
Contributions so far appreciated Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

With ref to my reply #1...
total cost for 3 outlets (with new cable & sockets)....and a new aerial was less than £160.00