Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TKStar trackers

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

TKStar trackers

Hey gang  Cheesy
Anyone have any experience using TKStar tracking devices?
I bought a pet tracker from ebay for a cat. The cat is rather old and frail but i am very fond of him and following a move i didn't want to loose the silly old git - so bought a tracker.
Now initially it seemed to work well. Reported its location via sms and fairly regularly to their tracking site via GPRS. Within a couple of days though something seemed not right. GPS wouldn't work unless GPRS was turned on or you'd have to send the reset command and on the odd ocassion it would suddenly get a GPS signal.
Then it got worse still. The website tracking became irratic and now simply doesn't work at all  Roll eyes
Then the geofence setup failed to work...
Today it decided to drop its battery from 40% t0 20% within a few minutes (worrying). Anyway as luck would have it the cat turned up (seems to know his new grounds now) and i took the thing off him. Plugged it in to charge up and the red charging LED won't stop flickering - it's supposed to be solid Roll eyes
So any experiences with these out there? - I know a few of you are quite technical folks so i'm guessing at least one or two of you might have tried them out at some point..
Thanks..
7up
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: TKStar trackers

I assume it doesn't gradually get damp?
Or chewed.
Community Veteran

It's supposed to be weatherproof.... but this is the chinese we're talking about. They're known for great electronics... and everything below that standard.
Chewed? This cat can't even chew a mouse anymore and i have to cut his food up into tiny pieces so he can managed to eat it without being in pain. I don't think there is any danger of him chewing up a plastic box like a dog  Grin
So... naturally I did what all good tech enthusiasts do and took it apart  Cheesy Warning here to others: It contains a push switch inside to detect if it has been opened (voiding the warranty i no longer have as the seller refunded me due to it playing up). Anyway i couldn't see anything obvious that was loose or making intermittent contact like power supply wires etc. Everything else is surface mount so i couldn't really examine any of that. Anyhow while I had it apart I didn't actually notice any rubber seals... just very tight fitting plastic parts. That said, kitty went out in the rain the other day for several hours and it came back working... Oh... hand on... Shocked
Strange thing.. i took it out to Tescos while getting the little fellas xmas pressies and the tracker did send me a sms telling me it had left the geofence area... but never bothered to text me about coming back into it. I've got it back on charge again and the red light continues to flicker randomly so something clearly isn't right inside it.
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: 7up
Reported its location via sms and fairly regularly to their tracking site via GPRS.

Are you not worried about the high levels of RF being emitted by this device right next to your cat's head?  Wink
Community Veteran

Yes actually that did cross my mind BUT he's only wearing it for a short time and once he knows the area it won't be used again anyway - well not on him at least. I was planning to fit it to the car but with a dodgy charging circuit i'm not so sure thats a wise idea incase it upsets the built in lithium battery and turns the car into a fireball  Lips are sealed
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Just sell it to someone who wants to track their Chinese 'Hoverboard'.  Grin
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Blackowlgps

OK so i know this topic is an old one, but this might be able to help you out Smiley I've had a lot of experience with TKSTAR trackers and I haven't really experienced any major issues but they can be confusing to work out the first time you set them up.

What you'll find is that without sending the gprs command you'll be able to obtain the tracker's location via SMS (sending G123456#) or calling the tracker but not through the app or Web platform because that command activates 'live tracking'. The Geofence feature is also only available when the gprs command has been sent because it's constantly monitoring the tracker's location.

The benefit of not using the gprs command is you'll save heaps of battery life, particularly in one of those trackers. You can switch it off by sending 'nogprs123456'. Guess it just depends on what works for your circumstances.

If you're wanting a low battery alert, you'll have to authorise your phone number. You can do this by sending 'admin123456 phone number' (enter the mobile number you're texting from, NOT your tracker's number).
Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Honey on paws is said to work, not as technically satisfying, or not in your case but hey, better than those electric training collars eh? A pet hate of mine.
All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

Blackowlgps wrote:
OK so i know this topic is an old one, but this might be able to help you out Smiley I've had a lot of experience with TKSTAR trackers and I haven't really experienced any major issues but they can be confusing to work out the first time you set them up.

What you'll find is that without sending the gprs command you'll be able to obtain the tracker's location via SMS (sending G123456#) or calling the tracker but not through the app or Web platform because that command activates 'live tracking'. The Geofence feature is also only available when the gprs command has been sent because it's constantly monitoring the tracker's location.

The benefit of not using the gprs command is you'll save heaps of battery life, particularly in one of those trackers. You can switch it off by sending 'nogprs123456'. Guess it just depends on what works for your circumstances.

If you're wanting a low battery alert, you'll have to authorise your phone number. You can do this by sending 'admin123456 phone number' (enter the mobile number you're texting from, NOT your tracker's number).

Yeah I got all of that and yes while the instructions could do with improvement I did manage to work it all out command wise. The knackered charging circuit however was the biggest issue for me and given that the geofencing didn't want to work when it came into the area it was a bit pointless using it. Even when it was supposed to be live tracking it wasn't doing a very good job - at one point putting the cat half a mile away when I could see him at the end of the garden.