cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TFL: Victoria Line broken

Community Veteran

TFL: Victoria Line broken

Just for any Londoners/commuters out there:
No service between Warren Street and Brixton while we fix damage caused by Flooding at Victoria.
This is the cause (apparently) - http://usvsth3m.com/post/74285062011/you-wont-believe-why-the-victoria-line-is-currently
Very hard to believe, no?
16 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: TFL: Victoria Line broken

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Ouch... that's gonna be expensive CU in court Mr Contractor.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Fixes: 125

Quote from: AndyH
Guardian are reporting the same - http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/jan/23/londons-victoria-line-suspended-after-control-room-is...
Well, that's concrete proof Cheesy

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Some funny comments out there:
According to latest reports, ASLEF's stance on this issue is hardening.
They have plans to reopen soon, but nothing concrete. Oh hang on ...
Fixes: 125

Has the contractor admitted who was asphalt Tongue

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

alanf
Aspiring Pro

I was reading in last night's Standard about Bombardier withdrawing from the contract to resignal part of the Underground and mention was made that  "The project was to have emulated the success of new signals installed by Siemens on the Victoria line, which now boasts Europe’s highest-capacity subway service at morning peak." So it is the newest finest signalling equipment that will have to be replaced not the stuff that needs replacing anyhow.
http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/tube-fiasco-prompts-fear-that-signal-upgrade-will-miss-2018-de...
Update: Phew! There is no talk of long-term disruption so it seems that it is not the most hi-tech bits of equipment that have been affected.
Standard's report on this incident.
http://www.standard.co.uk/news/transport/huge-delays-as-victoria-line-as-concrete-leak-hits-control-...
TORPC
Grafter

Could this of been inadvertent sabotage ?Huh
Community Veteran

@ Alan I would have thought there will be major problems as concrete is a pita to clean (once it begins to go off, you're in deep doodoo). Over electricals, I would have though the only option would be to replace them as you won't be able to hose them down.
@ TORPC I think more incompetence. They were filling voids with concrete. Just turns out one of those voids was the signal room Cheesy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

There were some good comments on the Guardian website - I liked the ones that suggested it will be renamed the Blue Circle Line.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
alanf
Aspiring Pro

I liked the less obvious one. "We'll have to take the repla-cement bus."
alanf
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: AndyH
@ Alan I would have thought there will be major problems as concrete is a pita to clean (once it begins to go off, you're in deep doodoo). Over electricals, I would have though the only option would be to replace them as you won't be able to hose them down

Yet this morning.... 'Peter McNaught, operations director for the Bakerloo, Central and Victoria lines, said: "Our engineers have worked tirelessly through the night and have successfully repaired the damaged signalling equipment. A good service is now operating across the Victoria line.'
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/road-and-rail-transport/10593858/London-Undergrounds-Victoria...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

[quote=http://www.standard.co.uk/news/transport/workers-bought-sugar-from-supermarket-to-slow-cement-flood-farce-on-victoria-line-9081168.html]Contractors rushed to the supermarket to buy sugar to slow a flood of fast setting cement which was accidentally pumped into a control room at one of London’s busiest Tube stations.
Looks like they acted quickly enough to get it out before it set.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran

That's amazing about the sugar - never realised it was a retardant for concrete.
Credit to them for fixing the problem...but what a balls up in the first place.
nanotm
Pro

its not the first time something like this has been done on the underground, a few years ago I seem to recall there was a similar story about how the signalling equipment was supposed to be given plastic covers and then the space around it backfilled with concrete to prevent water damage during floods and someone mistakenly filled 2 blocks with concrete prior to the covers being fitted.......
I don't actually understand why you would fill in the areas if they were designed as holes, just because a few tramps have been found lurking in them, there meant to be there for emergency use or equipment storage during shutdown maint times in busy routes.....no doubt someone figured out that terrorists could equally use them for bomb planting so instead of upping security there just removing the hidey holes ...
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you