cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System Maintenence - On Behalf of Tom...

Community Veteran

System Maintenence - On Behalf of Tom...

Some of you may remember Tom (tomspcs), since moved onto another ISP but has asked me to post this on his behalf:
[quote=tomspcs]Hi all,
I am currently doing a study as part of my coursework and really could do with your help.
I am trying to establish what percentile of people perform a system maintenance on their machine and how often. I also am trying to establish who doesnt and the reasons why.
If you could help me out on this then I would be very gratefull as it would help me complete the module in order for me to
carry on with the other 4 I have going on .
Ok so the question is:
Do you perform a regular routine system maintenance on your system?
If you do them what you include as part of this (eg virus scan) and how often?
If you do not perform a regular or any maintenance on your system, then why are your reasons for this?

Many thanks in advance,
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: System Maintenence - On Behalf of Tom...

[me=Be3G]doesn't because he has a Mac so doesn't need to.[/me]
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

What is a virus scanner?
I use Linux so I don't have or need one. Cheesy
There is no adware, malware, spyware.
There is just an occasional security update to some component (from a trusted source) which could be automatically applied.
Oh - and no defragmenting either (I have better file systems).
So what is meant by system maintenance?

clockley
Grafter

I virus scan every day (using AVG), back up around once a month, try to avoid windows updates (after XP SP2 nearly killed my laptop) but run a very good firewall and internal firewall in the router.  I also scan all items that have been downloaded or saved to the HDD.
If my system seems to be running slowly, then i will do the full defrag, but with loads of files and 160Gb HDD, this is a major pain in the bum.
What about you lot?
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Interesting.
I had a look at the comments about Linux "rootkits" see http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/10/03/ebay_paypal_online_banking/comments/#c_70481
The consensus appears that a load of Windows infected sites are using a Linux server to send their phishes.
Obviously, it's not impossible to infect a Linux machine.
A bit easier at the user level - so that a single user gets stuffed.
But extremely difficult at the "administrator" level - rootkits indeed!
Anyway if I were to go to a site and follow instructions such as:-
1) Download this file [always OK]
2) Change the permissions of this file [description of how to do this] - oops you can't allocate yourself more permission than you've got already - OK just make it executable
3) Execute the file above
4) file sends a message "you are a fool!

brad
Grafter

Hmm, perhaps I am not as secure as some people but hey.
Got AVG and Norton running at all times. AVG does an automatic update every day and scans once a week. Norton despite me not agreeing with it doesn't cause any harm.
I do all Windows Updates when they come out cos I like that. Not had any viruses since last year which is handy. It might also be down to not having downloaded random applications anymore.
I also have Spybot just to keep the Spies at bay  Smiley
jazz
Grafter

I run Avast! anti-virus and Kerio firewall - both free versions. Avast! updates daily (sometimes twice a day).  Kerio self updates without saying anything.  I run AV Scan once a week or more frequently if I have been using the computer a lot. 
I also have SpyBot S&D (updates each Wednesday) and AdAware (updates each Monday).  I run SpyBot and Adaware daily.
Windows updates are on automatic and cause me no problems other than having to find Internet Explorer after each update and reset system to default to Thunderbird.
I back up my financial information at least once a day (twice a day if there is a lot of activity) and I back up all files and documents once a week onto an external hard drive.
Never had a virus problem in 10 years except for last May when i picked up a trojan (I think via The Register website) which Avast! picked up on my weekly scan at the end of that day.  It turned out the the trojan had only been out for 24 hours so Avast! was very quick to spot it and pick up on it.
Community Veteran

Ah yes, maybe I should add then that I do make an occasional full-system backup on to an external HDD (though I backup other more important files more frequently to different places). There is no regular schedule for my backups though.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I do the following:
Virus scan daily with AVG Anti-Virus software, does an automatic update every day as well.
Spoof scan weekly with AVG Anti-Spoof software.
Defrag the disks monthly over night, because it is a major pain in the bum to do!
Firewall Zone Alarm.
Router with firewall on.
Windos XP firewall off.
Windos XP updates off.
Hard drive "C" Size 80 GB
Hard drive "E" Shound be "D" Size 160 GB
All files are kept on a separate disk, no files are kept on the "C" drive.
Back up around once a monthly on to an external hard drive over night, because it is a major pain in the bum to do!
I also scan all items 75% of the time that have been downloaded or saved to the Hard drive.
External hard drive 500 GB  Smiley
mutterer
Grafter

Win XP with 2 Hard drives
ADSL Modem/Router with NAT & Firewall switched on.
AntiVir resident scanner + system scan weekly
SuperAntiSpyware not resident but weekly full scans.
Kerio 2.5 Firewall with Bz's advanced rule set.
Sandboxie.
Spyware Blaster
IE6 used only for Windows Updates.  If I do have to use it for other sites then it is run as a limited user in a sandbox.
Default browser is K-meleon.  Firefox is on probation yet again, just cannot get on with Opera at all at all.
Acronis True Image 10, full image of C: after significant changes ~ stored on D:.
SyncBak backup programme copies whatever I feel necessary to backup, including Data, photos, Firefox and K-Meleon profiles, to D:
Outlook express Freebie backup does the same for E-Mails.
CCleaner run daily to get rid of the rubbish and clean the registry.
Diskeeper to defrag, 10 minutes max.
Powerdesk Pro as file manager, I keep a beady eye on the hard disk and clean out useless files whenever I install software, such as readme.txt, other languages and licences.
Thus far, touch wood and fingers crossed, in 7 years I have never had a virus or spyware.  Had a few tracking cookies but that's as bad as it gets.
You do need to work at it and to try and keep up.
Wilders forum is a good place to lurk, they claim to be the most paranoid people on the planet.
> http://www.wilderssecurity.com/index.php