cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Syria Debate

Community Veteran

Syria Debate

After a very exciting day in Parliament the debate on taking Military Action in Syria has ended. We are now awaiting the vote which is expected about 10.30p.
We had 2 very good closing speeches. The one from Hillary Benn was one of the best I've heard.
It looks like the government will get the majority they need and we could have planes in the skies over Syria within a few hours.
65 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Syria Debate

If we do "go to war" with a bunch of cowards that hide in amongst innocent people, then, we're liable to end up with the cowards lying in wait over here attacking us like they did in Paris, so, we're screwed... Roll eyes
Community Veteran

The government has won the vote and we can expect our planes to be bombing in Syria tonight.
Preacherlady
Grafter

You would think by now that they should know that causing terror and death does not create peace!!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: artmo
After a very exciting day in Parliament the debate on taking Military Action in Syria has ended.

What is exciting about voting whether or not to kill people?
In principle yes I agree we need ISIS taken care of. But that said, how? If we go dropping bombs and innocent people are killed, they'll turn bitter and want revenge of their own - only making the problem worse for the future.
Whatever we do, I'm not really convinced that dropping a load of bombs will resolve anything.. but its the british way I suppose.. oh look theres something we don't like lets fly a plane over it and drop a few bombs  Roll eyes
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Steve
Pro

The government has won the vote and we can expect our planes to be bombing in Syria tonight.
A vote of 'illegally drop bombs in Syrian airspace' yes it is illegal.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

and why do you say its illegal ?
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Steve
Pro

Russia is the only legitimate assistance as Russia was asked for help, Americans or UK or anyone else have not been asked by Assad for help.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Well, we're boned...
nanotm
Pro

that's assuming Assad is the legitimate ruler a deeply disputed fact given that Syria hasn't run a democratic election since 1972 when the bath party seized power and enacted reforms which prevented anyone else from leading but his daddy and then him when daddy died....
the tin pot faked election he ran last year when he was "elected leader" doesn't legitimise his ruling the country either, parts of it have been in armed revolt since 2010..
Syria should have asked for UN peacekeepers when the insurrection began long before it became a full on civil war that let daesh sneak in and size control of huge chunks of land while nobody was looking....
what Syria needs is for the UN to generate an action plan and then instigate it with all parties of the security council taking part, but the problem now is they cant do that since the country is now 4 years into a civil war and large swaths of it have been usurped by a non domestic terrorist cartel, those of the free Syrian army have just as much right to request armed aid as the countries dictator does at this point making anyone they beg aid of a "legal" participant In the on going problems, something that will in all likely hood be another proxy war fought between the communist east and the capitalist west and leave the country destroyed /
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

can't ever mind us own business, but feel we have a perfect right to interfere with other sovereign states.  were the vote to do in the saud family, i might perk up for that.
Community Veteran

Quote from: M
A vote of 'illegally drop bombs in Syrian airspace' yes it is illegal.

But when has war eve been legal?
Was our invasion and peace keeping of Sarajevo legal? Iraq in the late 80s? What about Bosnia and the Falklands?
People keep speaking about ie being legal or not yet nobody ever seems to be about to quote s specific law, statue, act etc to prove it.
ISIS need dealing with somehow - and thats a fact. Dropping bombs i'm not convinced about but they do need dealing with.
Community Veteran

I had a Déjà vu experience
Didn't David Cameron sound like Tony Blair.
IMHO best way to attack Daesh is to cut internet and mobile phone coverage.
Community Veteran

No I don't think this is anything like Tony Blair.
He and Bush invented a fake claim that Saddam had weapons of mass destruction - which have still not been found. Saddam had never used any weapons against us, never sent out bombers and never attacked europe. Yes he invaded Kuwait previously to that and was fought until he withdrew. That was no reason to go up against him again but they did and it destabilized the entire region.
ISIS is a completely different problem - they have attacked a european city that is right next to us and they pose a significant threat. The problem is though that when you're dealing with suicide bombers that you know are coming your way, threatening to kill them isn't going to achieve much - especialy when they're sneaking in as refugees armed with the knowledge of how to make explosives from chemicals they'll be able to buy when they get here.
I'm not a big fan of David Cameron (well to be fair I blame Osborne for making Cameron look uncaring towards the poor) but I do feel that putting him on the same level as Tony Blair is wrong. Cameron at least is trying to defend us although at a time when we're skint and the French, Americans and Russians are already hitting targets, I have to wonder why we're getting involved and making more enemies - we can't afford the money or casualties of war.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

I dont like Cameron , But he is a better alternative to the wet lettuce Jeremy Corbyn  Crazy
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .