cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sympathy for the Travellers

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Sympathy for the Travellers

I have a lot of sympathy for the Travellers predicament at Dale Farm. It must be terrible to fear eviction from a place where you've lived for years.
However I've no sympathy with their view that they can flout the law when it comes to planning regulations. They knew they were not permitted to create a permanent site at that location without planning approval. This is a case where the law needs to be applied and they move on. It is equally sad that the money spent on the clearance could be used elsewhere, in that respect the Travellers are depriving other people in Essex through their defiance of the law.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
131 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Sympathy for the Travellers

living in the locality - well 25 miles,  the original site has got planning permission and is well fenced, the entrance to the illegal site goes up the side of the legal to a field at the back, the illegal travellers all speak with an irish accent.

I dont know the ethnic origin of the legal, they might be romany.
There is a lot of muddled talking from the illegal lot, they do own the site, reported to have paid £120000, they say they dont know what planning permission is, how come the older residents did
we do have two controlled travveler sites in Braintree, one is just off the A120, again the first occupants are Romany and have lived in the are for at least 40 years, they didnt cause any problems, but when they moved they hadnt got permission, not sure now as the council seems to leave them alow, but about 10 years ago they had had travellers turn up who were removed
nadger
Rising Star

There's no doubt that these travellers are well aware of the law but choose to flout it. With their various "skills" they can take over a field and turn it into a site in a matter of hours.
A few years ago we made our regular Wednesday run to Aldi only to find that the car park had been taken over by travellers. Needless to say it took a few days to get them evicted.
I also recall them taking over some farm land near here. The farmer asked them to leave and was told what to do with himself. When he returned with his tractor and a tank of slurry, that he started spraying, they saw sense  Roll eyes
Community Veteran

We have an interesting "problem" in my areas.
There's some land that genuine (fairground) travellers used to use as an over-winter resting place and still own.
They did this for decades until the various authorities started to tighten up on things and it didn't fit in with "planning rules".
They were never a problem and their children integrated well into the local schools in winter months.
They moved on several years ago when it all became too much of a hassle, but now they want to come back as I think all other options are closing down.
The land is an old industrial site (though within Green Belt) so it's an interesting planning issue. It's on a relatively isolated farm with no housing nearby.
However, I can hear breath being drawn in various quarters.
Nimby alert!  Roll eyes
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

While there is a shortage of legal sites who can blame people for flouting the law?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran

The Longer the problem is left the more costly it will take to rectify.
If the council backed by the Labour government had taken action when the first group of illegal travellers had arrived the problem would not have escalated  into what is going to cost millions to rectify. In addition to the cost no doubt injuries will be caused on both sides.
The only people I feel sorry for are the children of these travellers as they are the ones likely to suffer the most and end up with the idea it's the travellers against the rest of the country.
There is plenty of spare land in the countries they have travelled from so ask yourself this question why did they not purchase land there where it was much cheaper ?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I've always had a soft view on travellers myself although I did hyave a run-in with a few some years back.. rather shady lot they were but I've still taken the view that there is no point tar'ing them all with the same brush.
They've been at Dale farm for years. Evicting them will cause more problems than it solves (but hey, since the 60's all UK governments have been good at that) and they have GOT TO live SOMEWHERE.
IMO you might just as well fast track a planning application with a 'win' result for them and have done with it. Lets face it, the government rigs everything else it wants.. oil supplies from Iraq and Libya for instance.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Basildon Council has set aside £18m to use in evicting the travellers. This is half their annual expenditure.  All Police leave has been cancelled awaiting the call to move ahead with the eviction. 
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Quote from: artmo
Basildon Council has set aside £18m to use in evicting the travellers.

Then the same amount again to re-house themUndecided
Problems needs a bit of radical thinking:-  think @Sprite is on the right track, legalise Dale farm, lay on water, post, roads, electricity, gas, (cost less than £18m) then charge them council tax, and road tax, as they are now parked on the public road:-
The inhabitants will probably leave voluntary, or join mainstream society.
Alternatively create a mobile phone/ TV reception black spot within a 2 mile radius of Dale farm.
Sending in the Bailiffs is not the right solution
itsme
Grafter

So good bye to the green belt, you can't have exceptions to the law.
HighLordPhanty
Grafter

No sympathy at all.
This country has been run on the basis of settled communities for the last thousand years.
If you want to live an alternative lifestyle, do it within the rules and fund it yourself.
Community Veteran

Quote from: journeys
Problems needs a bit of radical thinking:-  think @Sprite is on the right track, legalise Dale farm, lay on water, post, roads, electricity, gas, (cost less than £18m) then charge them council tax, and road tax, as they are now parked on the public road:-
The inhabitants will probably leave voluntary, or join mainstream society.

I think you'll find they already have water, electricity etc.  Don't know how.
I understand they don't pay council tax but their vehicles are legal to prevent any hassle when they go on the roads.
nadger
Rising Star

Quote from: artmo
but their vehicles are legal to prevent any hassle when they go on the roads.
Wonder how many run on red diesel.
There's a pikey site on A41 near Stanmore/Bushey and I've seen customs vehicles pulling their vehicles over and dipping fuel tanks.
Community Veteran

Quote from: HighLordPhanty
If you want to live an alternative lifestyle, do it within the rules and fund it yourself.

Where? They've said they will move if a suitable site is provided.
If there were sites around the country with vacancies they would have no excuse, as there is nowhere for them to go it's the council at fault.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
itsme
Grafter

Buy land and get planning permission. Don't expect the tax payer to fund their life style of a group of the population that avoid paying taxes.