cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching Gas & Elec supplier query

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Switching Gas & Elec supplier query

Got an email today saying I could save about £275 on next years bills, by switching to another supplier....
I have just had my current supplier read my meters, and the bill will be in the post... ( but can view on line )...
I also had a letter saying I would be getting £140 "Warm Home Discount" applied to my electric bill.... ( I had this last year too )... when the bills arrived, I did not have to pay anything on the electric bill as it was less than £140 and that left me with a credit balance, carried forward to my next quarterly bill....
If I change supplier.... NOW... ( I expect it to take a few weeks on this supplier before the new one gets hold of me !).. will the "balance" be automatically transferred to the new supplier... ( the one I am thinking of , does actually do the "warm home discount"... )....  Or will I have to chase the old supplier and new supplier to get this transferred ?
Anyone got any experience of this ?
5 REPLIES
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Switching Gas & Elec supplier query

The balance does not get transferred.  You'll get a refund cheque from Supplier A and start a completely fresh account with Supplier B.
I'd be very careful about moving at this stage -You may lose the discount with A and not qualify yet with B.  Also bear in mind that the savings advertised are based on a comparison with the worst tariff.  You may well be on a good tariff and save little or nothing by switching.  Equally, you may well save as much by changing tariffs with your current supplier!
Do your homework carefully Smiley
Community Veteran

I think the whole "Warm Home Discount" originated from screwing over customers in the first place Smiley
Community Veteran

Power companies screwing customers, surely not. Angry
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Have you checked the options via http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cheapenergyclub
That will give you the real savings and not a false comparison with the expensive options.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@ jelv.... yes indeedy... when I get the email. ( martins moneysaving cheap energy  club )  it provides a linky to the best deals...  Wink based on information given at "sign up"...