cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switched Supplier

Community Veteran

Switched Supplier

I have just switched my gas and electricity supplier. I was with EON but have switched to First Utility and based on last year's usage i will save £244 per annum.
I got the deal through http://thisisthebigdeal.com  which is a site that does collective bargaining on behalf of customers.
45 REPLIES
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Switched Supplier

I went through 4 different comparison sites + mse  and found that SEC was the cheapest supplier for my area (charging less than 1/3rd of the standing charge and the exact same unit charge) on the various tarrifs available in my area, better still they let me fix for 2 years at the standard rate last week (which is cheaper than my current fixed rate product I took out in 2012 by about £50 a year) makes me wonder why they are so much cheaper now than they were 3 years ago when the unit price I got from scottish power was the cheapest on the market by a considerable margin .......

I might add it worked out £65 a year cheaper to go direct to the SEC site and get the deal than to go via anywhere else (based on the internet billing discount for duel fuel supplies) amazing really that the comparison sites are so much more expensive to use ......
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

The Big Deal is not a comparative site. It simply collects a group of around 10,000 users and asks all the companies to quote for the business. Having checked direct with the suppliers sites I verified Big Deal is cheaper than any of them.
Community Veteran

@artmo:- thanks for the heads/up, doesn't currently work for us eon works out at £200 pa cheaper, but  worth checking, appreciate the post
nanotm
Pro

the problem with them is they take a bulk region free approach, the company they quote as having been best for my area charged 35p/day standing charge on electric and 32p/day for gas, so whilst there cheaper on the unit price I would need to be sucking in a shedload more energy than I do right now for it to be actually cheaper,  it would work out that across 12 months I would pay more on standing charge than I would in gas and a whopping £110 extra on the electric for a saving of 1p/kwh I'd need to be burning 60+kwh every day to make it cheaper, when I am barely sucking down 23kwh /day (average over 12 months), might sound stupid but every region is different and the regulator sets the standing charge prices supplier to supplier /
Community Veteran

You obviously haven't used the site correctly. You enter your details and it will produce the best deal inclusive of standing charges and unit charges.
Community Veteran

Quote from: journeys
@artmo:- thanks for the heads/up, doesn't currently work for us eon works out at £200 pa cheaper, but  worth checking, appreciate the post

No problem. Worth checking out though.
Marksfish
Grafter

I moved to one of the smaller providers last year, Flow Energy, and they are saving us on our previous e-On tariff.
Mark
nanotm
Pro

Quote from: artmo
You obviously haven't used the site correctly. You enter your details and it will produce the best deal inclusive of standing charges and unit charges.

which is what I did, it worked out way more expensive than the deal I signed up to last week ........
Community Veteran

Quote from: nanotm
the problem with them is they take a bulk region free approach,

They don't. That's why they ask for your postcode at the start of the process.
Quote from: nanotm
might sound stupid but every region is different and the regulator sets the standing charge prices supplier to supplier /

If that was true all suppliers would have the same standing charge within a region, which they don't.
gswindale
Grafter

The standing charge really should be abolished.
Just incorporate it into the unit price and be done with it.
Would make comparing prices easier and more transparent.
Community Veteran

I've used EBIco for the last few years. No standing charge which is important as I use very little.
Most of the saving sites do little more than make me smile.
As their generalised figures for customer savings is usually more than my actual bill.
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: geofftswin
The standing charge really should be abolished.
Just incorporate it into the unit price and be done with it.

So some customers pay less and some would pay more, it should be the customer to decide whether to go with a tariff with or without a standing charge unfortunately this option disappeared when the government stepped in and limited the number of tariffs to 4.
What about standing charges for Water and the telephone?
Quote from: geofftswin
Would make comparing prices easier and more transparent.

If you look at you bill your supplier should give you a TCR figure, which is a Tariff Comparison Rate.
beeceegee
Rising Star

When I last used a "collective scheme" (offered by the local council, can't remember who it was run by) the "winning bid" was from Scottish Power. The tariff was one I could just as easily get from any price comparison site, minus the free meerkat  Huh
St3
All Star
Fixes: 2

That sites not really updated...........
Im with e-on and i compared my current plan to first utility who the recomend, it says on first utility that if i leave my current e-on plan i will be charged just under £10 for each for gas and leccy...... this is not true. My account says i will be charged £5 on each if i leave.
Also the quote they give me is not from now its from when my current deal runs out in 7 months time, by then e-on may have offered a better deal. Another thing i noticed is im only paying a max of £10 to leave my current plan if i was to switch but first utility are charging £30 for gas and £30 for leccy if you leave their contract.
You have too look into all the small print before you can get a good idea on if you are actully making a saving.
Win 10
i7 7700k
GTX 970