cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Swinging Sixties

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Swinging Sixties

jmd wrote: Swinging sixties, I had a great time...
shutter wrote: Swinging sixties, did I miss them...
Personally, during the sixties and early seventies I was playing lead guitar in a band, and had a whale of a time. It's a period of time in recent history that today's youth and a number of generations before it completely fail to understand. It should be remembered perhaps, that it was our parents fresh from some of the most debilitating wars in history, and largely from Victorian/Edwardian backgrounds, who didn't interfere with my generations wish for something better, prior to this; children "were seen and not heard" otherwise things may have turned out rather differently, and children then were assumed to be children up to the age of at least 18.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
108 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Swinging Sixties

Nice bit of history lesson that.....    Smiley    todays generation still would not understand.......... much the same as me, I don`t understand RAP music (?) or never could.... Cry  Cry  Cry
nadger
Rising Star

I enjoyed the 50s with all the big bands that toured the country  Cool
When I was stationed at REME Command Wkshps in Colchester (54-55) there was a big band nearly every week at the Corn Exchange.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

you should come back to Colchester for a reunion, You wouldn't recognize the barracks area, Hyderbag  has virtually gone and they are having an argument about the Garrison Chapel, it has a preservations order on it But the MOD sold it to a private investment firm Cry
They have also found the only Roman race track in Britain. under a part of the Barracks.,
The MOD presence here has in fact increased with the Air Mobile Brigade, this includes the Para's from Aldershot
PS I live in Essex but not near Colchester
jmd
Grafter

Petlew - what band did you play in?
I had a friend who used to get tickets each week for the recording of "Pop Inn" which went out on the radio one lunchtime but was recorded in an evening at Hulme Hippodrome, Manchester [in the 60s Hulme was not like it is now!].  So for free I saw and heard; Herman and the hermits, Swinging Blue Jeans,  Gerry and Pacemakers. etc etc plus other less well known groups. 
We also used to go to Coffee Bars in Manchester and hear various groups - and drank coffee too - none of these alcopops etc or binge drinking that teenagers do now.
I still love the music of that period.
nadger
Rising Star

Quote from: pierre_pierre
You wouldn't recognize the barracks area,

It's quite a few years since I last went thro' Colchester. It had changed a lot but it is nearly 53 years since I was stationed there.
Girl who had been our next door neighbour, and her husband, kept a pub by the market on North Hill so I had a second home there  Smiley
pierre_pierre
Grafter

What Market on North Hill?  its now Maplins and Matalan plus a few others  Shocked,
nadger
Rising Star

What Market on North Hill?  its now Maplins and Matalan plus a few others  Shocked,

There used to be a cattle market on LHS as you went down hill towards station.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

just modified my last have a look
Community Veteran

jmd, sadly nobody well known. But then in those days every other bloke played in a band (actually "group" then, hence the term "groupie" For some odd reason we worked best in Brighton, and commuted down there once a fortnight for a year or so. We were thought to style ourselves on the Hollies, unfortunately I had a problem. finding it difficult to play and sing at the same time, not too good when close harmony is required, which probably made me the least popular/useful member of the group, but was the groups sparks, so if not particularly a good voice, was almost essential to the running of the group. However, we were known as "The Inclines" soppy name, but it wasn't my idea. Our one and only claim to fame, was to be supporting group to the Who before they were well known, however, I've found nowhere in that bands volatile history that shows this.
Anyway it all ended acrimoniously, but I'm still in email contact (via Friends Reunited) with our lead singer, but have lost contact with the other three members.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
jmd
Grafter

well yes Petlew - there were dozens of small bands like yours around in Manchester playing at  the coffee bars such as The Oasis and Twisted Wheel - all of whom have seem to have disappeared!  But it was a great time until the coffee bars also went and became discos with associated drug problems.
I went from being mad on the pop groups to enjoying Halle Concerts!
Community Veteran

My tastes in music have always been very wide. I play guitar (with the effects of arthritis in the hands, badly these days) both pop/rock/blues and classical. Have played (not very well) the viola, and the oboe. My ex-wife attended the Royal Academy of Music, studying cello and piano, and very good she was (and still is) I enjoy most things from Beethoven to Barbers Shop quartets, but find most very modern "music" shall we say, difficult to take seriously. 

Community Veteran

The "coffee houses" in Amsterdam have taken over the drug trade now..... But, yes, I remember a coffee bar in Ipswich we "junior matelots" from HMS GANGES used to frequent. It was nice to get out of the Barracks, but was short lived, as we had to get the only bus back at 9 pm Cry  not long enough to get to know the local talent there.... perhaps that`s why the bus went at 9 pm.....  (it did take about 45 minutes to get to Shotley Gate though) So straight to bed, and then up at 5.30 am for a new day.... Roll eyes
pierre_pierre
Grafter

What you doin er shutter, thought you would av yer neck round a bottle whisky, poor old notherners.
Community Veteran

What you doin er shutter, thought you would av yer neck round a bottle whisky, poor old notherners.

Now then Pierre.... I am a Yorkie, (not a chocolate bar) And also I am an Ex-Matelot.... I do not partake of the golden liquid you refer to, but am partial to a dark red refreshment made in the West Indies, that has a very high alcholic content..... I am of course referring to rum..... When the Navy Tot was deemed by their Lords of the Admiralty to be inconsistent with the high levels of concentration needed to operat modern electronics and gunnery control equipment, it was discontinued. There were "mock funerals" in all shore establishments, and all ships of the fleet. The Last Tot, was duly served with reverence, and has been sorely missed ever since.  It was not just a halfpint tumbler filled with one third rum and two thirds water.  It was a form of trading kudos, inasmuch as you could get your mate to do your duty watch and go ashore to see the "girlfriend/wife"  by offering him "sippers" , or in extreme cases, half of your tot..... Depended on how much you wanted him to do your duty watch ! Cheesy