cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Swine Flu Hotline

Community Veteran

Swine Flu Hotline

The government's Swine Flu hotline has opened and TV news reports that it is finding it difficult to cope with the number of calls.
http://tinyurl.com/l778k6
Anybody phoned it yet?
32 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Re: Swine Flu Hotline

Nope.
And if it wasn't for all the panic in the papers and the BBC etc. a lot of other people wouldn't either.
Community Veteran

Roger that, what a load of bullocks
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Cough Web site crashed Cough  Shocked Cry  Crazy
Scotland Doesn't need it according to the Scottish Parliament  Grin
Since I am in one of the high risk groups 1 & in Scotland, I am keeping informed but not panicked  Cool

1 I am a type 2 Diabetic
Community Veteran

Both the BBC and Sky have been trying to contact the service on line and by phone but without success.  Wouldn't you think they may have foreseen this happening?
Community Veteran

Quote from: artmo
Wouldn't you think they may have foreseen this happening?

The BBC Radio news this morning said it wouldn't be opened till it had been tested to see if it could handle the volume of calls, obviously it failed Lips are sealed
Community Veteran

I suspect, however, that there is probably a bit of an initial surge taking place at the moment while everyone tries it out. Once people start using it on an as-needed basis, it'll probably be alright. And, frankly, I'm not really sure what there is to complain about seeing as the new service is in addition to pre-existing services, and furthermore has arrived earlier than was originally envisaged.
Fixes: 47

I may or may not be just recovering from it.
I don't know as I haven't been poorly enough to justify calling anyone (e.g. I am still breathing) Roll eyes
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

The Dept of health said this was to take work off the GPs so they could get on with their normal work.
A GP on BBC News this afternoon has said the only information GPs have been given on the new service is from the TV.  Maybe it would have been sensible to let doctors know what was going on Roll eyes
Community Veteran

I feel like a week off, I am going to visit the new website and tell them I have pig flu. Do you think they will they email me the sick note.
* thinks; if I do that, statistically it will appear there are more people with pig flu that there really is*
Oh well least I get my week on the sick while I do some jobs around the house.
(Strat,  I know you are really sick)
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: biker955

Since I am in one of the high risk groups 1 & in Scotland, I am keeping informed but not panicked  Cool

1 I am a type 2 Diabetic

Why do you believe that you are in the high risk group with your Diabetes? As far as I know the risk of catching swine flu is no higher and the BDA website does not seem to carry any information on swine flu. I believe if you do catch Swine flu then your blood glucose levels could/will raise and as you are type 2 this may be harder for you to detect as unlike type 1 you probably will not be doing any blood tests. If you do catch it you could always have a few glasses of wine as alcohol will lower you blood glucose levels. The last sentence even though true is not recommended.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

well I have mild type two and do two blood checks a week
Community Veteran

I only said that I was in the high risk group, because of the I also get the flu jag automatically (Almost FORCED by the doc Tongue), not that I am more likely to catch it, just that if I do it may be worse for me.
Also why do you say that I will 
not be doing any blood tests
I am taking tablets to control it and do test regularly, not as much as I would have to if I was on injections but ....
Community Veteran

Isn't Scotland a low risk area at present?  I thought London and the South were where it at its highest.
The facilities that opened today are for England only.
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: pierre_pierre
well I have mild type two and do two blood checks a week
Quote from: biker955

Also why do you say that I will 
not be doing any blood tests
I am taking tablets to control it and do test regularly, not as much as I would have to if I was on injections but ....

For 14 years, until 2005, I worked for a company that designed and manufactured reagent strips for diabetes. I was the only electronic design engineer for the group and was responsible for the  design of their range of meters. Same of which are still available. The reason that most type 2 diabetics will not do a blood test is the infrequency of testing. A pot of 50 strips have an open pot life of 30 days. Therefore testing twice a week will require only 8 strips from a pot or 50. I do recall that same manufacturers may supply strips in smaller pots. As soon as the pot is opened the strips start to take on moisture and the accuracy of the strips fall off sharply after 30 days. So I would have thought that most GP's will not prescribe strips for Blood testing.