Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Swine Flu.....Again

mrmarkus1981
Grafter

Swine Flu.....Again

BBC is reporting another death from swine flu:-
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/8136629.stm
Now, i am really suspicious of the coverage of this disease!  EVERY person who has died so far has been described in these EXACT words 'serious underlying health problems'.
Are the govt/NHS just saying this so we dont all down tools, lock ourselves in our houses and bring GB to a halt in this tough economic climate.
22 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Swine Flu.....Again

I don't think so - flu is a decease that always is more dangerous for people with underlying health issues.
Being kind - it is a decease that takes people who may be suffering with a long term painful/ distressing condition and therefore can be  a merciful release.
Community Veteran

My concern is the announcement last week that Tamiflu will not be offered to all people catching the disease.  We apparently do not have enough Tamiflu despite being told weeks ago that there was enough.
Community Veteran

I thought I had read something suggesting they are finding Tamiflu was not effective anyway. Sad Sorry, this is from memory and could be wrong and I have no idea where I read that.
SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Community Veteran

I've not heard that - but I don't think they ever said there would be enough Tamiflu here for the whole population until about August, which of course is not far away !.

Community Veteran

You're right godsell4.  There was a report last week that one strain of Swine Flu is resistant to Tamiflu.  Doesn't look good for the winter does it Cry
Community Veteran

At a meeting 3 weeks ago we were told that our local NHS Primary Care Trust had ordered enough Tamiflu for its needs but that doesn't mean they will actually get it. 
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Interesting report in the Bournemouth Echo
Swine flu is ‘no more serious’ than winter flu says expert
A PUBLIC health expert has urged members of the public not to worry unduly about swine flu – because it is not that easy to catch.
Dr Sue Bennett, director of the Dorset and Somerset Health Protection Unit, said: “Swine flu will not easily pass from person to person.
“You need close and prolonged contact to catch swine flu, and that involves having face to face contact with someone for an hour or more and at a distance of one metre or less.”
She explained: “Most of the transmission of swine flu in the UK has occurred in family groups or schools because that is where very close contact of this kind takes place.”
More cases of suspected swine flu are being seen locally, but laboratory testing is no longer taking place to confirm the diagnosis.
Dr Bennett said: “We do know that there are a number of viruses currently circulating in the local population apart from swine flu. If you have no fever, or just a low temperature and symptoms of a cold or sore throat, just treat yourself at home in the usual way.”
Community Veteran

A number of reports in yesterday's papers suggest the government is going to vaccinate the whole population.  Can you imagine the resources needed for this?
Community Veteran

Indeed - but I'm sure they contingency plans for such things - much like emergency planning contingencies.
Lurker
Grafter

They might have to draft the Army in to help, although I'm not sure the Army vehicles would be able to cope with the poor terrain our potholed streets present. Sad
Community Veteran

You obviously didn't watch Top Gear last night then
Fixes: 47

No problem James. They'll equip them all with Citroen 2CVs
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Lurker
Grafter

Quote from: Oldjim
You obviously didn't watch Top Gear last night then

FAIL
I did.
You'll have noticed they stuck to the fields though, rather than risk their equipment on normal roads though. Cheesy
Community Veteran

We do see them on normal roads round here though and a few potholes doesn't put them off - in fact I think they help create them with their tracked vehicles