Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Swearing

Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't know about you but I find using the F word quite comforting and appropriate when your thumb's just been compressed under the head of a hammer!

If you don't want to swear just say 'Oh the perversity of inanimate objects' - hows that for heducaton... ?Huh

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

To be honest I don't really swear, for me I find it uncomfortable and think its wrong. But equally, I'm not that bothered about others doing it as it's not coming from my mouth.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@Anonymous

Can you swear to that !

😂

Highlighted
Fixes: 460

In court you may be told to swear on the Bible when giving evidence.

If the Bible allows it...nay encourages it, then it can't be all that bad.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 79.0 (64-bit)

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

@gleneagles Hell yeah.

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Being an atheist @Strat that doesn't apply to me Wink

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

@TTman wrote:

On the Daily Fails letter page the question was asked Is There Too Much Swearing on TV. I just wondered what the opinion of the Forum members is on this?🤔

Yes.

TV is used as a medium that promotes things. The more of something there is on TV the more people try to copy and keep up with it. It's that simple.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't know about you but I find using the F word quite comforting and appropriate when your thumb's just been compressed under the head of a hammer!

certainly more effective in the "comfort zone", than

" Goodness Gracious me.... that hurt a bit..... "  (Guffawing chinaman emoticon )

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 8

@Strat wrote:

In court you may be told to swear on the Bible when giving evidence.

If the Bible allows it...nay encourages it, then it can't be all that bad.

Wrong comparison, my friend; there is  swearing, as in making an oath (vow) to do something, give true testimony, or swearing, as in what is the subject here. 

In religious circles I am familiar with some abhor both types, and will in the first just attest they will tell the truth, in the latter, I think there is some confusion with something being not right per se and just crude relief utterances. As to the crude the limited vocabulary of today makes it just that. I have a thought that the f and c words are parasitic killers of imaginative utterance.

Before I moved  here, a lady acquaintance turned off any show at the first swear word. ( wonder what hubby thought!). Personally that is too far, for once there was a woman thelling the really tragic tale of her condition. Every other word was swearing. Despite our distaste we had to listen to understand.

All said, too much is heard on shows.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 8

How's this for an amusing means of swear word avoidance?

Nigel Farage has totally self-partnered himself

Funny 

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Highlighted
Pro
Fixes: 2

@jab1 wrote:

@TTman wrote:

On the Daily Fails letter page the question was asked Is There Too Much Swearing on TV. I just wondered what the opinion of the Forum members is on this?🤔

I watch very little TV these days, so can't really comment. However, I was always taught that those who have to revert to profanity were, shall we say, a little deficient in the intelligence stakes.

a common refrain for those who wish to uplift there own lacking status...

I can use a 4 letter word for sex to mean a dozen different things so why should I waste my effort utilising excessive speech to outline such concepts for those who are irrelevant to my discourse?

I mean seriously I worked in military/scientific circles for several years and not one of those people didnt use a plethora of cus words to make exclamations or declarations instead of deleteriously verbose announcements that would have been ignored as too wordy by those who were doing other things yet required to be informed...

just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

@nanotm wrote:
too wordy

😀

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 44

@nanotm wrote:

@jab1 wrote:

@TTman wrote:

I watch very little TV these days, so can't really comment. However, I was always taught that those who have to revert to profanity were, shall we say, a little deficient in the intelligence stakes.

a common refrain for those who wish to uplift there own lacking status...

I can use a 4 letter word for sex to mean a dozen different things so why should I waste my effort utilising excessive speech to outline such concepts for those who are irrelevant to my discourse?

I mean seriously I worked in military/scientific circles for several years and not one of those people didnt use a plethora of cus words to make exclamations or declarations instead of deleteriously verbose announcements that would have been ignored as too wordy by those who were doing other things yet required to be informed...

I had a father who was in the motor repair business, and I worked for 30+ years in the steel/heavy engineering busines - both of which had, and still have, a reputation of being, shall we say, a bit 'rough'. However, I still didn't hear constant bad language in normal conversation. Yes, when things got a bit stressful the language could get a bit rich, but in normal conversation no!

Not that it bothers me, but your veiled insult is unnecessary, and I still maintain that crude language demonstrates a lack of common decency.

John
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

There was a time when some men who used such language did so only in thhe presence of other men and were careful not to use it in the presence of women.

Clearly that no longer applies and sadly some women now use such language.

My wife has commented that some of the things written or drawn on the walls in some ladies toilets is just crude and leaves nothing to the imignation.

We are truly on a downward path.