Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Swearing

Highlighted
Champion
Fixes: 1

Swearing

On the Daily Fails letter page the question was asked Is There Too Much Swearing on TV. I just wondered what the opinion of the Forum members is on this?🤔

32 REPLIES 32
Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

Re: Swearing

I used to hate TV when everyone had to speak estuary English with those horrible false accents used by upper class receding chin snobs,  much better now with proper real world accents.  So I guess if people swear in real life that should be reflected on TV,  

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 5

And at least they don't bleep the words out nowadays - well at least most of the time.

Highlighted
Pro
Fixes: 3

zoot alors!

😁

Show us ONE just ONE real, defined benefit for the British public from Brexit

Brexit Promised cake .... But just delivers a stream of Cack
... and expects us all to just swallow it
Brexit - Built from Bovine Manure by Bots
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

@RobC   Erm....( uplifting sunglasses chinaman emoticon )

Forum rules.... -- Posts must be made in English....... ( shocked chinaman emoticon )

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 5

@shutter 

I hope you've got your Kevlar helmet on ...

Wait for it ....

You didn't provide a link !!!

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Just too much rubbish on the telly. Its become a white noise generator.

I mean does anyone still watch "I'm a Celebrity (allegedly)". Who are these people? What is an Ant & Dec?

Yes I watched the first couple but for me it went rapidly down hill. A bit like Ant and Dec after they left Grange Hill.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@billnotben wrote:

A bit like Ant and Dec after they left Grange Hill.

Hmm, I don't recall PJ and Duncan being on Grange Hill, thought they were more Byker Grove, in Newcastle... 🤣

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 44

@TTman wrote:

On the Daily Fails letter page the question was asked Is There Too Much Swearing on TV. I just wondered what the opinion of the Forum members is on this?🤔

I watch very little TV these days, so can't really comment. However, I was always taught that those who have to revert to profanity were, shall we say, a little deficient in the intelligence stakes.

John
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Out english teacher used to say those using such language were the badly spoken and uneducated.

At our age we have heard it all but I feel sorry for parents with young children watching some film and one asks...." What does that mean" ?

Seems the increase in swearing and sexual scenes is on the increase and in my opinion add nothing to the story in most cases.

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was always told this as well and when questioned it was justified by the fact that if you needed to swear it showed your lack of intelligence as you didn't have the vocabulary to find a more appropriate word.

I don't know about you but I find using the F word quite comforting and appropriate when your thumb's just been compressed under the head of a hammer!

Highlighted
Champion
Fixes: 12

There's been several different scientific studies over the last few years that suggest swearing is a sign of higher levels of both language fluency, and intelligence.

Here's an article on one of them

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/swearing-study-intelligent-intelligence...

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

@twocvbloke wrote:

thought they were more Byker Grove, in Newcastle... 🤣

Yes you're right.

Shows how much notice I take of Ant & Dec.

I always used to think that when big stars appeared in adverts it was a sign they were on the way down. For the barely stars it's the gambling app.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Used properly with intelligence and humour, swearing is pretty hilarious... 😂

Unlike those who eff and jeff every other word when "conversing" with people across the street from them so that everyone can hear what they're saying..........

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well 🗯 me I'll be 🗯 who'd have thought. Grin