cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Swallowing Tablets

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Swallowing Tablets

I am not normally ill.... so have not been used to taking tablets for painkilling etc... however, I do have to take Simvastatin 40mg... which usually sticks in the back of my throat, until it dissolves ... I have now got to take some other pills,.. which are quite large, as an anti-inflamatory,... and also codra- paracetomol for pain relief...  the anti-inflam should be taken with or after food.. BUT these also seem to stick in the back of my throat... even when taken during a meal...
I have tried taking them with a bit of broken biscuit to help with the swallowing, but still they seem to stick....
anyone else have this problem... and how did you solve it....?
When I have a headache, I take anadin.. which I usually dissolve in the mouth before swallowing the granules.... !..
31 REPLIES
myredhotcar
Grafter

Re: Swallowing Tablets

Try smoothie, unless the label specifies not to be taken with food. How much water are you using and have you tried milk?
Community Veteran

Yes, I have tried with Milk.... and also tea... Usually try to "float " them down with about half a cup of water...
I took an anti inflam tablet at about 1800... and it is still stuck in my throat... 2100 ... had  some food with it... then a cup of tea,... and another just recently... also had a couple of extra strong mints !...
Wondering if I should try crushing them into smaller particles and drinking a small amount with the intake.
Fixes: 125

Some medicines can be rendered less or even ineffective when taken with milk but if directed to be taken with or just after food should be ok.
I've never had an issue with taking tablets but I usually take with a large gulp of water throwing my head back at the same time. Not sure if that actually helps, though.
I have been known to take them without any water at all.
Part of the problem, I think, is the thought of it getting stuck in your throat actually makes it harder to swallow.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

myredhotcar
Grafter

You could try that although if the tablet has no break line I would be tempted to take that tablet whole, as some tablets are designed to be taken whole. If this is the case maybe you could get the tablet in smaller doses, i.e. 2x20 instead of 1x40? If the tablet has no coating (like paracetamol) you should be fine but it may taste nasty.
Have you tried a small glass of water just before you take the tablets, then a larger volume with the tablets?
@mav: had a friend who was unable to swallow tablets and it turned out to be down to a fear of getting the pill stuck in the throat.
Fixes: 125

Often the tablet isn't actually stuck in the throat but the feeling that it is becomes very real and worrying.
Another option would be to go back to your GP and see if it is available in liquid form.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

myredhotcar
Grafter

Her fear was due to an anxiety disorder.
As you say there is always liquid... or suppositories  Sad
Community Veteran

Quote from: myredhotcar

As you say there is always ...........suppositories  Sad

and the fear of that is......  Embarrassed  Roll eyes  Cheesy

The tablets are not coated... and yes, they do actually get stuck... as sometimes, I have actually been able to swallow them whole.... 
Taste ?  Well Anadin do not taste nice... but I have got used to it... and it usually goes away with an extra strong mint !..
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

have you tried crushing them
Community Veteran

No,... only just thought about that ! ! ! ..so next time I take one ( tomorrow morning) I will try it that way...
myredhotcar
Grafter

Let's just say if I can find it in a form I can swallow or the doctor can inject... I'll go for that  Cheesy Apparently we are a bit odd with regard to suppositories in the UK http://mickirose.wordpress.com/2010/11/09/suppositories-why-the-french-have-it-right/
I wasn't insinuating you have a weird thing where you imagine they get stuck, I had it with a tablet that would get stuck and burn. Ended up taking them with a pint of water. Your anti-inflammatory isn't Naproxen by any chance? They are pretty large.
Community Veteran

I take a lot of tablets these days - 6 on a morning and 4 on an evening.
I always take them with a drink. The morning ones always with coffee and the evening ones usually with a cold drink but sometimes with coffee.
Never use milk - can't stand the smell or taste of the damn stuff!
Geoff,
York.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: shutter
Yes, I have tried with Milk.... and also tea... Usually try to "float " them down with about half a cup of water...

There is a knack to pill swallowing that I discovered this year due to the pills the NHS hospital trust have caused me to need..
If its one of those plastic capsule things that likes to float, put it in your mouth, have a drink and then point your head down towards the floor,  pause and swallow. The pill naturally having floated to the top is now nearer the back of your mouth / throat and goes down first before being followed by your water / drink.
If it's a proper pill then the opposite applies. Head up towards the ceiling, let the thing sink for a second towards your throat and then swallow.
It's pretty much a case of getting the tablet into the optimal position for swallowing and giving it time to do so. That pause is crucial I find. Also if you're one of those people who has a bit of a hunch, straighten your neck up by moving your head backwards just before you swallow - the neck is then less obstructive for the pill.
Ultimately if you really to get that sucker stuck in your throat, chew a slice of bread and then swallow. That'll knock it down.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

I think difficulty swallowing should be queried with your doctor; there are conditions that can have this as a side-effect and some of them are relatively rare and often missed or mis-diagnosed.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I must be one of the 'world's worst' when it comes to taking tablets, I've now developed a 'method' involving rolling the tablet around my mouth (to get a good mucous covering) then I find it slips down easily without dissolving.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.