cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suspicious incoming phone calls

penneck
Rising Star

Suspicious incoming phone calls

Not sure this is the correct place for this but as at the moment it is only chit-chat, here goes:-

In the last two days I have received two phone calls claiming to be from OpenReach. The voice (male, Asian - I hope that isn't racist or sexist, but my experience of the Microsoft scam calls was always those two features) said my modem was showing signs of having been infected so that it slowed my line speed down. They wanted me to start my computer so they could show me the problem. The first call told me what my home address was, so I said that as they knew that, they could send an engineer to my house to meet me.

Is this a variation of the old "I am from Microsoft" scam?

18 REPLIES
Fixes: 232

Re: Suspicious incoming phone calls

Seems far too suspicious to me and I don't think OR deal with the public.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

BT's free Call Protect service (1572) is pretty good. It automatically rejected 24 spam calls last month on my line.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Male, Asian - and  hoping that isn't racist or sexist?

You are defiantly in the right place to be nailed up by our very own fully paid up member of the PC brigade!

NISUS WETTUS: Next. Crucifixion?

PRISONER #1: Yes.

NISUS: Good. Out of the door. Line on the left. One cross each. Next. Crucifixion?

PRISONER #2: Yes.

NISUS: Good. Out of the door. Line on the left. One cross each. Next. Crucifixion?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arwZcw0Ejcc

I know where I am, I've been lost here before.
Mayfly
Pro

I've had 2 in the last 2 days - both number withheld. The first a computor message said my internet would be disconnected in 48hrs due to a corrupt IP address and to press 1 to speak with an engineers (yea right!) the second one today, was from an Asian sounding lady claiming to be from BT calling because my internet was throwing up errors. When I said I'll speak with my ISP they hung up.

If I'd had more time I would have strung them along.

penneck
Rising Star

As they claimed my line speed had been affected, I used the BT Wholesale line speed test. That quoted 8.2M download speed, and 0.84M upload. I'm still using copper to my steam-powered pc, I get a good enough service from it so I'm not going to fibre until I have to, but I don't know if those speeds quoted above are reasonable or not.

If I went to fibre, would my Netgear modem need to be changed too?

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

As somebody who was stuck at around 3mbps  for literally months, I used to dream of getting anywhere near that so yes, that's pretty good in my estimation - although no doubt some if not many are getting a lot higher.

I'm on FTTP now so those days are long gone but if what you get suits, then if it a'int broke don't fix it..... unless of course fibre comes in at a good price and you need to connect (as many do) to more devices.

As for that phone call, treat anything like that with extreme caution and do not act on it until you can check it out.

As the Americans say, trust then verify. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@penneck wrote:

As they claimed my line speed had been affected, I used the BT Wholesale line speed test. That quoted 8.2M download speed, and 0.84M upload. I'm still using copper to my steam-powered pc, I get a good enough service from it so I'm not going to fibre until I have to, but I don't know if those speeds quoted above are reasonable or not.

If I went to fibre, would my Netgear modem need to be changed too?

For the type of connection you have, the speed you can get will depend mainly on how far you are from the exchange. The best way to see what you ‘should’ be getting is to put your phone number in to this site https://www.dslchecker.bt.com

That will also tell you what speed you could get on fibre, if it is available.

RobPN
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

@Anonymous wrote:

That will also tell you what speed you could get on fibre, if it is available.

@Anonymous

For the majority of people in the UK it won't tell the speed they can get on fibre (unless you're referring to FTTP on Demand, which will always be the maximum speed on offer for that service, presently 330/30 Mbps); it may tell you the speed you might get on VDSL, if available, which you appear to have been suckered in to calling 'fibre'.

For a relatively small percentage of people, native FTTP will be available for which the 'norm' is presently becoming 330/50 Mbps.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@RobPN

Plusnet refer to the VDSL ‘Fibre to the Cabinet’ service as fibre , so while you may be right insofar as such a service is not totally fibre based, it is commonly referred to as ‘fibre’. I am not sure your post is terribly helpful to the OP.

RobPN
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

@Anonymous wrote:

Plusnet refer to the VDSL ‘Fibre to the Cabinet’ service as fibre ...

That may be so, but I was simply pointing out that VDSL is not actually 'fibre' although many ISPs may refer to it as such for marketing reasons.  As you have pointed out it can also be referred to as 'Fibre to the Cabinet' (FTTC) which in my opinion is more akin to the truth.

As it happens, it may well have given the OP and others who are still on ADSLx food for thought because the figures given for 'possible' expected speeds for VDSL can be a bit of a minefield as they can be affected by several things, regardless of distance from the cabinet.  There have been quite a few people who have ended up with lower speeds than they expected.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your opinion, @RobPN. I’m sure you feel it is valid.

penneck
Rising Star

Anyway, the gist of the replies is that I was right to not trust these two phone calls.

Thanks to all

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@RobPN

You are absolutely right of course, despite nitpicking from certain quarters.

Fibre is what some say it is even when it isn't, and saying it does not make it true and like those advertised speeds, it's just more doublespeak.

More bite from the ASA and more honesty from certain ISP's should be the order of the day.

Jonpe
Champion
Fixes: 7

@Mayfly wrote: my internet was throwing up errors.

Perhaps the error curry it had the night before.

@RobPN, BT refer to their cheapest VDSL package as Infinity despite there being a download limit of 30GB.  Their other VDSL offerings are described as Unlimited Infinity.  Not that they want to confuse or anything.