cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suspected debit card copying

Fixes: 121

Suspected debit card copying

Received the following SMS a little earlier
[quote=SMS] Barclays needs to re-issue your debit card, you can continue using your current card until your new card arrives. Please call us on 0800 015 4044 with any queries.
Suspecting this to be some form of scam I rang Barclays using the usual contact number for personal banking to be told that the text is genuine because fraudulent activity may have been detected. I asked to be put through to the fraud department for more information.
The lady I got put through told me that their automatic system has detected that my card may have been copied. When I pressed for more information on how this could happen i was told that they have no idea as the system is totally automatic. But as a precaution they issue a new card which automatically cancels the current one.
They couldn't/wouldn't tell me if this was due to being physically copied from a store machine, for example, or online. I only use my cards on secured sites such as Tesco, etc. but no further information was forthcoming. Barclays announced a couple of weeks ago that they weren't affected by the recent HeartBleed issue but they still couldn't/wouldn't tell me more.
While I understand the need to monitor and actively prevent fraud I tried to get the lady to understand that without further information that may help me ensure all my card activities are safe and secure then maybe I could end up being issued with a new card every few days. I was simply told that "that's how it is".
I will add this point that I can see no untoward debit showing on my account but as I log in on a daily basis it won't be difficult to keep tabs on things.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

7 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Suspected debit card copying

Barclays replaced my debit card a few months ago (the old one still had a few years on it).
They sent me a letter saying they were replacing it for security reasons.
I didn't know that could be the reason, as I never bothered phoning them.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Nationwide replace my credit card twice in about 6 months for the same reason
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

sometimes they do it if you use your card in a particular place when they can cross reference a backlog of cards being copied through that single point.......where I used to live a dodgy individual was skimming debit cards at the local service station (the only one for miles around) the cards were then getting cloned and used overseas and a week later people found there accounts were emptied on payday (more than 500 people) the plod were alerted and an investigation conducted which took another 2 months during which time the various banks were auto cancelling peoples debit cards every time they got used at the establishment in the end more than 30 addresses around the world were raided simultaneously and more than a hundred individuals were swept up (there was a security bulletin about it where I worked) most of the unfortunates who got there cards cloned never even knew it had happened as the banks anti fraud units did there job Smiley
a few years ago I got a credit card purely so I could conduct online purchases without needing to worry about my debit card getting compromised (which would affect me a lot more than a maxed out credit card) so far its only had to be reissued once because of unknown charges following online usage.....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Fixes: 47

I have received new cards with new numbers as my bank and Lloyds went their separate ways.
So there was another advantage Smiley
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Fixes: 121

A downside to this is that I have my own personalised debit card using a photo I took. So I now have to wait for the new card then order another with a new photo.
Strangely, before I received the SMS, earlier today I was looking through some photos with the intention of ordering a new card with a new photo as I was getting fed up with the current one Cheesy

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

TORPC
Grafter

They read you mind & though Ah!!!.... lets get in there 1st
Community Veteran

@Mav,  to put your mind at rest why not go into a branch and sort it out face-to-face?