cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suspect I'm about to be scammed - how do I prevent it

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Suspect I'm about to be scammed - how do I prevent it

I sold an item on ebay, it sold for (I'd guess) twice the amount I expected.

The buyer lives in Europe and has requested I post ordinary mail and photograph the package before sending.

I can understand a person requesting by ordinary mail (then claiming the package didn't arrive and reclaiming under buyers protection). Easily circumvented by registering and insuring the package.

Why would the buyer request a photograph of the package?

18 REPLIES
Steve
Pro

Re: Suspect I'm about to be scammed - how do I prevent it

I Would take a guess that it's for proof you sent it undamaged?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Send by a tracked & insured service only, that way there's no denying they received it and there's compensation you can claim back if the buyer succeeds in scamming you, as for the picture, presumably they want it so they can damage the packaging to put in a claim for damaged items (I.E. a before & after) if you sent by a tracked service therefore defeating their "it never arrived" claim...

Sadly, there's naff all you can do via paypal or ebay if they put in a false claim, as they are only siding with the buyers these days (easy fraudulent refunds, allowed to leave negative & neutral feedback, right royally ripping sellers off and basically being given a pat on the back), partly why I don't sell very often, and if I do it's low-value stuff that if it ends up in the hands of a scammer, it's not as big a loss as say a laptop or smartphone...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

I understand that you can see the bids made, so do they look sensible and from long standing buyers? If not then I'd decline the offer and relist it saying that you'll only send via some from of recorded delivery. They may be using the standard deliver method for the reason you suggest, but as you made more money than expected (assuming sensible bids) you could always absorb the cost and send it tracked.

Community Veteran

@twocvbloke, thanks advice, much appreciated

@Mook agreed register and insure at own cost. BUT should I inform the buyer it is registered and insured or  just mark it as dispatched.

Community Veteran

@journeys - No don't say anything, if they are playing at silly beggars then so can you Wink Take the picture as requested then take it to the P.O. and send having taken another picture of the tracking details and to show it wasn't damaged at the time of dispatch.

If they then go on to make a claim, you simply provide the evidence. Two can play at that game.

mort7890
Rising Star

Also take a picture of the item before and if possible during packing so that they cannot claim it was broken in transit. I have seen this happen as the person wanted to replace the item they had and was damaged so yes make sure it is insured.

Community Veteran

That's a good point @mort7890 and following on from that, if this item has a serial or id number take a photo of it as you may well find it gets returned, well it doesn’t but a broken one does.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

When selling things on ebay I always finish the advert with the following statement.

Will only post to UK addresses with a verified paypal address.

Paypal only.

Thank you.

Community Veteran

@mort7890, thanks for the tip. Post office were very understanding, added postage stamp to package, let me photograph, then added 'track and trace label' and re-photograph.

@Mook already ahead of game! photographed serial number and forwarded to buyer!

@gleneagles good point, will add in future. Buyers Paypal address was confirmed.

Will post outcome next week - thanks all

Community Veteran

I too only post to UK but if I did sell abroad I would do it with ebays Global Shipping Program.

So that in effect I would still be posting to UK only, to Pitney Bowes.

alanf
Aspiring Pro

Money Saving Expert's Ebay... Forum would be a good place to seek further advice.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40

Minivanman
Hero

If it smells funny it probably is and anyways, it's not up to the buyer to dictate to the seller how a package is sent. Follow your gut and if you are not happy, just walk away from the sale. I know I would.  

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

i had an item sold last week and the buyers was in the UK (all good so far), but the address paypal advised me to send it to was one of those Doddle parcel collection locations in a shopping centre.

I advised the buyer that i wasn't willing to send to such a location regardless of what paypal says is verified or not, when clearly the address is not yours.
they said that was the only address they wanted things shipped to, so i said no deal and refunded via paypal straight away.

no surprises that i ended up with negative feedback for not sending to the desired address.
ebay gives me no option to respond to that negative feedback.
Community Veteran

You've photographed the serial number etc, but there is one scam no-one has mentioned.  Computers, Tv's etc are being bought  over the product value ( same model as a faulty one the purchaser has) , so they can steal the motherboard, graphics card in fact any inner components to replace  their own faulty ones.  They put the faulty component in and report it as not working. That's why they don't mind paying over the odds - they are going to repair their faulty one using yours as a donor, and get a full refund from Ebay too ( ok you then).

This is mainly happening with computers, but has happened with TV's.