Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surround sound advice?

mrmarkus1981
Grafter

Surround sound advice?

Hi folks, me again  Wink
I have always had a decent 5.1 setup for my various inputs but now i have renovated my house and have a shiny new living room i dont want to clutter it up with trailing wires etc.
Can anyone recommend a decent 2.1 system, around £300 to £350?
15 REPLIES
Euge
Grafter

Re: Surround sound advice?

Rip open your walls and install those surface mounted speakers and you will be the envy of your street  Cool
mrmarkus1981
Grafter

I just spend £00's havinh them plastered though  Embarrassed
Euge
Grafter

£00's thats tantamount to free!
Euge
Grafter

Question, are you looking for just a new pair of speakers that you can hook up to you dvd player? Or a strereo system?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Do you want a 2.1 system because it would be more compact than a decent pair of stereo speakers
Have you thought of a 5.1 where the rear speakers are wireless driven (mind you you would still need a power supply to them).
mrmarkus1981
Grafter

I want a decent 2.1 system that will simulate surround, hence the high(ish) price im willing to pay.
Seen nice ONKYO, BOSE AND PIONEER systems, but just wondered if anyone knows of any hidden gems that i could buy and save some pennies!!
Community Veteran

My rear speakers are wireless - Phillips DVD setup.  Sony also do wireless rear speakers.
mrmarkus1981
Grafter

Not interested in 'wireless' as oldjim said, most still require power to them, which in turn leaves cables trailing  Cry
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: mrmarkus1981
I have always had a decent 5.1 setup for my various inputs but now i have renovated my house and have a shiny new living room i dont want to clutter it up with trailing wires etc.

Forgive for asking but why didn't you plan the wiring in when you did the room up?
mrmarkus1981
Grafter

Didnt budget for it as was not priority  Huh
Community Veteran

Do you have floorboards and a void space under the house?
mrmarkus1981
Grafter

I do indeed, but aint crawlin around under there, jeez you guys are hard today!
Community Veteran

I want a decent 2.1 system that will simulate surround, hence the high(ish) price im willing to pay.

Hmm, if you have been accustomed to a true 5.1 system, you may be underwhelmed by a 2.1 simulating a surround sound system.
Do you have a good local HiFi or Home Cinema store where they will setup the 2.1 systems you are interested in in a demo room?
If you want wireless surround sound, I have to mentioned Meridian ... but that will be expensive! Sad
For less than the cost of the Meridan system, pull off the skirting boards and route wires behind them to sockets on the wall, and then make good with some touching up of the paintwork that will come away when you remove the skirting boards. If you are going to do this, put in extra sockets, put in a pair for where YOU want the speakers, but also put in a pair for where the BUYER of your home may want them too.
SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Community Veteran

I do indeed, but aint crawlin around under there, jeez you guys are hard today!

But you wont see any wires and you won't spoil the decor of your new room  Crazy