cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surprise surprise!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Surprise surprise!

Just been watching the Wright stuff on ITV and they showed a clip of Holly Willoughby presenting the new Surprise surprise.
Must be said it was only a few seconds but I didn't like it. Holly oozes "I wanna be on TV and be famous". Cilla Black oozed lovliness and sincerity.
Anyone else have any thoughts on this?
BRING BACK CILLA BLACK!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
12 REPLIES
Fixes: 125

Re: Surprise surprise!

Cilla Black has class. Saw her a while ago on Never Mind the Buzzcocks. Sent herself up and was so funny.
Quote from: Sprite
BRING BACK CILLA BLACK!

Got a great ring to it  Smiley

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

ashgeo
Grafter

We live in a world where everyone wants to be famous and there are so many Z list celebs out there trying to get their moment of fame (not that Holly is Z list!). TV companies have run out of ideas and just recycle old TV. Suprise Suprise only worked with Cilla beacause of her personality.
Community Veteran

Quote from: ashgeo
Suprise Suprise only worked with Cilla beacause of her personality.

Exactly!
Cilla just had that 'thing' about her that everyone loved and was so well suited to the show. Holly just isn't suitable for it IMO.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Never watched it or am likely to watch the new one either. So don't care who they present it with.  Cheesy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I always thought that Cilla was "sending herself up"..... when she pronounced "Surprise! Surprise!" to her "unsuspecting" guests,... as she often "overdid" the scouse accent at that particular moment ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8iOOJcR0aI
Community Veteran

Yeah but Cilla was old skool celebrity from the days when we only had 4 channels and the nation needed icons to look up to. To a point, she'd have to promote herself a bit.
These days it's a celebrity rat-race and I think it's cr*p.
RichAllen
Grafter

I miss Cilla, and not just on Surprise Surprise, I mean yeah OK the couples never got on, but Blid Date was a laugh, they did auditions for it in Sheffield a few years ago, I wanted to go but Dad convinced me that even I'm not THAT desperate, lol.
Community Veteran

Quote from: RichAllen
I miss Cilla

Me too. No idea what happened to her but she just seemed to suddenly stop being on TV and vanished. Once upon a time you could guarantee she'd be on the TV on saturday evening. Now it's full of x-cr@p or bulgaria's talent - cowel fuelled sh** instead  Sad
Oh and what happened to Graham with that quick reminder?
Community Veteran

I enjoyed her singing.  In those days she covered a lot of Dionne Warwick's hits, another good performer Smiley
Can't say I'm into quiz type shows so didn't really watch any of them.

Blind date was quite fun and stayed the right side of smut.
Often there were innuendos but nothing like Take Me Out that I caught a glimpse of when at my daughter's some while ago.
Cilla on Buzzcocks which, funnily enough, includes Holly Willaboobie.
Edit: There is some strong language in the program.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Community Veteran

Quote from: artmo
I enjoyed her singing. 

If I'm honest back in the day I didn't but I look back now and think how lucky we really were to have Cilla compared to a lot of trashy music that is out there now. Don't get me wrong I do like the current music (well some of it) but a lot of it is crap. Cilla had genuine all round talent not only as a host but performer too.
Quote from: Mav
Blind date was quite fun and stayed the right side of smut.

When you put it like that, you're right - she really did. It was all kept clean and was safe for all ages to watch.

One good question to ask yourself is would you want them round for dinner. Cilla would be a yes. But so many of today's 'artists' it would be a resounding NO Cheesy
One of my favourite Cilla songs