Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surprise furniture find

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Re: Surprise furniture find

@gleneagles 

And during the first world war of course and they had a heck of a job getting them out of those jobs after the war ended.

Support women trains drivers I say, a womans right to choo choos. Roll_eyes 

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Few positive things come out of a war but the war changed society and how people saw things.

Certainly proved to some women they were quite capable of doing things usually classed as ' mens work'

I could be wrong but the only job women never did was work down a coal mine....but if anybody knows differently then I stand corrected.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@gleneagles 

Quite right they did, and in some cases with babies on their backs. Men would work the coal face and women on all fours would haul coal - they even gave birth down there!

Go back through the years and only wealthy women did not work, the majority working just as hard as the men and seen easily enough in many parts of the world even t'day. 

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 8

@Minivanman wrote:

Now that smells of positive discrimination and it stinks. Besides, I thought that was unlawful under the 2010 Equality Act.

As genders merge (like it or not) jobs should merge. Employing women at the expense of men or even the other way around in this day and age?

It's not on is it... except with this Go-Ahead Group which quite honestely should be renamed the Behind-the-Times Group.

Drivers wanted, end of. 

@Minivanman It'a tweet, and tweets are not always fully accurate. Do you really think they won't continue recruitment of men? Now that would be discriminatory.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@Luzern 

A tweet maybe, but why would that make it any less valid than a news item which in effect is what it was.

You did not credit the source, so I assumed it came from the company itself and to that end I checked out their web site which confirmed that they are indeed 'on a drive' to recruit that number of female drivers which to my mind is discrimination.

Sure, they are not saying men are precluded from applying, but given that is now their policy do you think a man's application would find it's way to top of the pile? I don't, and moreover, what do you think the reaction would be from some of the more militant feminist groups if they announced they were going to positively recruit more male drivers.

One things for sure, they'd do more than just leave that toilet seat down! Wink

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

@Minivanman wrote:

@gleneagles 

Quite right they did, and in some cases with babies on their backs. Men would work the coal face and women on all fours would haul coal - they even gave birth down there!

Go back through the years and only wealthy women did not work, the majority working just as hard as the men and seen easily enough in many parts of the world even t'day. 

True, women and children did work down coal mines but I should have made my post more clear and said I was referring to the last 2 world wars and if women and children in this country worked down mines during that period.

According to the Coal Mine Regulation Act 1842 it was illegal to allow women or children to work down mines.....of course making something illegal does not prevent it taking place.

Not sure if the act was changed to fit in with todays 'Discrimination laws'....

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 8

@Minivanman We'll have to disagree, so what's new? Wink But aren't employers meant to open jobs to all- mr, mrs and err? How are they to do that without asking and advertising?

ISTM that in the professions females are more present and accepted e.g engineering, medicine. I wonder, if at lower lower levels that is not so, making effort to achieve the goal necessary.

Who was it who mentioned women as a calming factor in the workplace? Recruiting them into the bus industry with encouragement seems no bad thing.

BTW that's me done for a few days- off and away!

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@gleneagles 

If not changed then it should be... but do we actually have any coal mines left? Roll_eyes

Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

@Minivanman wrote:

@gleneagles 

If not changed then it should be... but do we actually have any coal mines left? Roll_eyes

Well our heritage railways are having to use terrible Polish coal because they can no longer get anthracite from South Wales.

The Severn Valley Railway near to us has a terrible job getting steam up as the imported coal does not burn as hot and cleanly as Welsh anthracite. We went on the Fort William to Mallaig 'Jacobite' steam train a few years ago and engine had to stop about 4 times to get up enough steam to tackle uphill bits,  they had to apologise and explain it was hard to get decent coal these days...

Bit like running your car engine on 80 octane when it is designed for 95....