Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surprise furniture find

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 9

Re: Surprise furniture find

@Luzern, your RPI figures are different from the ones on the ONS website here .

@Champnet, I remember the subsequent, i.e. post-Heath, Labour government restricting pay rises to £6 pw, and shops only being allowed to put prices up by 5% pa.  The limit on price increases was an attempt at reducing inflation, which over a year it would have done, but the shops tended to put their prices up by the maximum 5% straight away thereby costing the consumer more than a gradual price increase would have done.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

@Jonpe 

Much like imposing a 50mph speed limit and then motorists insisting on driving at that speed regardless. Sad

Highlighted
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

Simple motorist's equation : Maximum = Minimum

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 8

@Jonpe wrote:

@Luzern, your RPI figures are different from the ones on the ONS website here .

@Champnet, I remember the subsequent, i.e. post-Heath, Labour government restricting pay rises to £6 pw, and shops only being allowed to put prices up by 5% pa.  The limit on price increases was an attempt at reducing inflation, which over a year it would have done, but the shops tended to put their prices up by the maximum 5% straight away thereby costing the consumer more than a gradual price increase would have done.

@Jonpe  mIne were taken from here.  I did extrapolate 2018 figures from the 2010  data produced in the link so:

any month 2010 x Nov 18 RPI index / Nov 2010 RPI index, and th % increases are mine too

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

@Luzern wrote:

We married in October 1967. I was a bank clerk and she was a district nurse, midwife and health visitor. Each of our salaries was in the £800s, and the dream was to break the £1000 mark. It must be only 2-3 years later, when the bank gave large increases. By that time wifey was at home with at least one of our sprogs.

Here's a bit of history I cobbled togetherrpi earningd 60-80.gif

Be interesting to see that chart split even more between your wife and yourself as it would likely show the gap between men and womens wages at that time.

The point being that inflation would have been a more greater issue for women and in particular single women who were unable to rely on their husbands wage.

Highlighted
Hero

@gleneagles  For what was a very important and skilled position, requiring independent working, I don't think her salary was that great. I believe it was less the thing then for wives to work, so I wonder if female impact on the stats would be as important as now.

@Jonpe  re my post above. Should it be relevant RPI index was recast in January 1987.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Highlighted
Hero

Equal pay is all well and good but jobs that are typically taken by women, e.g. nurse, primary school teacher etc., are low-paid since the woman's salary is still seen as a mere top-up to her husbands earnings.  It has been claimed that it's important for boys to have male role models and efforts have been made to increase the number of male primary school teachers.

Female nurses in an area with only one hospital are not going to leave if their husband has a good job there so no need for salaries to be increased.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@Jonpe 

That's old fashioned thinking, things have moved on.

No woman should be in a position where they are financially dependent on their partner.

No reasonable person could say men work harder than women unless you simply concentrate on physical strength but many women have to work and bring up children.Not something some men would want to do.

It should also be remembered that some men may work in these female dominated jobs thus keeping their pay low which hardly seems fair.

A number of companies have been forced to pay, 'back pay' to women who have been doing the same jobs as men and rightly so.

Highlighted
Hero

@gleneagles wrote:

@Jonpe 

That's old fashioned thinking, things have moved on.

Of course it's old-fashioned, but it's there.  Some years ago the government even suggested that NHS trusts set pay levels locally.

It isn't all that long ago that we had jobs like 'air hostesses' (men need not apply!) .  London Underground got its first female driver in 1978; she must have been perfectly able to do the job since she remained in it until she retired in 1993.  Nowadays you see (or more often hear) a female driver several times a week if you take the tube to and from work.

Highlighted
Hero

..and there are a lot of female bus and coach drivers around;some quite tiny you'd think they'd have trouble with a wheelbarrow.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@Jonpe 

Have to agree with @gleneagles there in that things have moved on and sure there should be models of behaviour, but not just boys emulating their teachers or indeed their fathers. Of far more importance in my view is that all jobs should be seen as equal worth across the board and as it happens, across the board room.

I'm somewhat of a traditionalist in that somebody should be at home looking after the kiddies, but not so much that it should be the job of just women and even dare if say it, if the man earns more.

But how quickly it all becomes outdated and where now talk is about partners rather than husbands and wives but hey, some here had their time when views and attitude were far differnt from those of days gone and it's not our (or at least my) generation that makes the rules anymore, or get to decide what is or is not acceptable.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@Luzern 

Well that's power steering for you, remember when trucks were driven exclusivley by men with arms like Popeye because the driver really had to haul on that cart sized steering wheel? Now female truck drivers are two a penny, but hopefully not getting paid pounds less than the men for doing the same job. 

Slight aside, but sure a read ealier that the crime rates was lower in areas where there were more female police officers on the beat and if one turned up to say a scrap on the street, the situation eased considerably.

Highlighted
Hero

@Minivanman Yep, I know it's power steering, but it's not only women who benefit. We males do too. It's far easier to avoid wandering Joe at 70 on the motor way.

Spotted a tweet on a site I visit 

The Go-Ahead Group has announced a recruitment drive to hire 1,000 women in its bus division as it aims to double its female workforce.
Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

Now that smells of positive discrimination and it stinks. Besides, I thought that was unlawful under the 2010 Equality Act.

As genders merge (like it or not) jobs should merge. Employing women at the expense of men or even the other way around in this day and age?

It's not on is it... except with this Go-Ahead Group which quite honestely should be renamed the Behind-the-Times Group.

Drivers wanted, end of. 

Highlighted
Community Veteran

And let us not forget that during the last war women were doing mens jobs as most young and fit men were in the forces.

They were able to do those jobs, look after children and deal with the stress of war always worried that someone would turn up with a unwanted telegram.