Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surprise furniture find

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 8

Surprise furniture find

My wife's parents married in 1933, and her bridesmaid was associated with her and her spouse's husband. After her husband died in the early 1960s and I was married to her daughter somehow mother in law and her bridesmaid's widower met up and married, Subsequently he died, and via her mother my wife acquired some furniture her second partner had made in the 30s or 40s, among which was a small low table.

We used it for odds and ends until finally it went outside to hold potted plants until it disintegrated.

Well, that's no story, is it? No! Except what fell out was an airmail letter dated 1964 from the daughter of my wife's stepfather, all about her holiday in Mexico and working in Canada.

How weird.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
38 REPLIES 38
Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Re: Surprise furniture find

It's always interesting to find such things.

We had a bureau - one those post war utility jobs, and when I was sort of restoring it we found a garage receipt from the mid 50s made out to my late father in law. The bureau is long gone now but we still have that receipt somewhere, but the total bill was something under a pound if memory serves. 

Amazing.

Highlighted
Pro

That seems to be on the cheap side - the average weekly wage in 1949 was £7.00, so your Dad had a real bargain. Smiley

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@ffox 

A bit higher in the mid 50s I suspect, and he ran his own small business so... 

I do seem to recall though it was for something like 7/6d for a car service. My own Dad c1960 was on about £20 a week which for back then was a really good wage - and more than a policeman for example was earning that's for sure. 

Pro

@Minivanman 

I read that as £20 an hour! 

Now that would have been some wage back then!

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@Minesapint 

Well yes, that would have been really something. Even today it would be better than a poke in the eye. 

Highlighted
Pro

@Minivanman No, I was thinking that as I typed it.

Just coincidentally talking to a mate of mine via email about fancy wages in days of yore.

Mate lived next door to a bloke who worked at one of the big drop forging places in the Midlands way back when.

I remember him saying that this bloke was reputedly on a hundred quid a week. This would be around '72.

That was serious money then. Very hard work though!

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

Maybe you remember the guy back in the early 70s called 'Superhod' who reputedly earned £400 a werk carrying a supersized builders hod. Now that was some serious money as well.

Don't what happend to him though. Undecided

Highlighted
All Star
Fixes: 3

In 1967, as a trainee estimator for an insulation company, the tradesman’s wage was 7/6d an hour...

Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

Just think,  in the future someone may have an old computer in the loft and an old email or family photo may fall out Sad

Highlighted
Hero

We married in October 1967. I was a bank clerk and she was a district nurse, midwife and health visitor. Each of our salaries was in the £800s, and the dream was to break the £1000 mark. It must be only 2-3 years later, when the bank gave large increases. By that time wifey was at home with at least one of our sprogs.

Here's a bit of history I cobbled togetherrpi earningd 60-80.gif

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Highlighted
Pro

@Minivanman  Max somebody. There's quite a bit about him online. Proves what people can do if they get off their backsides and work hard.

@wotsup  I was sorting through some old stuff a couple of years back. Came across an old 850 Mb HDD from my first computer in 1995.

Fired it up and it worked. Surprised me how loud it was, and how slow the clicks were though. SO perhaps people will be finding old pics?

What I find amazing is that if we don't screw it up, and the internet is still there, then in a thousand years time, people will have some sort of record of what is happening now in the lives of ordinary people. 

They'll probably think we're obsessed with funny cats. . .

Highlighted
All Star

@Luzern  During the Heath Government, 70-74, there were some very restrictive salary increase caps but your chart doesn’t seem to reflect them. Were you immune from that piece of legislation ?

Highlighted
Hero

@Champnet  Not that i can remember that long back, but  I don't think so. Anyways banks had a progressive salary scale and gave annual bonuses that often were consolidated in the next year. Also, IIRC, there was back pay, salary restructuring and job evaluation all in the mix.

Wasn't one of Heath's rules one pound + 4% a week? It's funny how memory has it, that very similar figures were suggested in the press before the announcement.

Highlighted
All Star

It was £1 a week plus a small percentage. Maybe someone on the forum has a better recollection.

At work we all got the same unique letter : “As you may be aware we’ve had an exceptional year but unfortunately we cannot reflect this in your annual salary increase etc.etc.”