Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surgical dexterity and smartphones

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

Surgical dexterity and smartphones

One of the unexpected effects of smartphones: https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/surgery-students-dexterity-smartphones-keyboards-screens-cr...

Professor Kneebone, an apt name for a surgeon (orthopaedics perhaps).

5 REPLIES 5
nozzer
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Surgical dexterity and smartphones

One thing I have noticed everywhere is that the youngsters seem to be able to use their thumbs very rapidly for typing on a screen. I've tried it and mine don't seem to go in the right direction! Undecided

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

@Jonpe wrote:

One of the unexpected effects of smartphones: https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/surgery-students-dexterity-smartphones-keyboards-screens-cr...

Professor Kneebone, an apt name for a surgeon (orthopaedics perhaps).

Perhaps stitching is on the way out ?........Metal clips and superglue might replace the stitches

Wink

We are born into history and history is born into us.
petlew
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

They already have Gleneagles. Had double hernia surgery last month, and glue (I'm told it was a variant of Superglue) was used to join internal incisions, only the final surface was stitched with dissolving sutures, and they only really to hold the glued edges together for healing.

For years I haven't used plasters for minor cuts, but a substance from a bottle called "Newskin", which is basically a glue that forms a seal, wearing off fairly quickly after the bleeding has stopped to allow natural healing. Stings a bit when first put on though.

Mind you, I had seven hours of spinal surgery in 2000, Given I can't see it very well even in a mirror, but I got someone to photograph it, and the incisions look as if they were stitched with rope. 

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Jonpe
Hero

@gleneagles wrote:

Perhaps stitching is on the way out ?........Metal clips and superglue might replace the stitches

Wink

Metal clips in plastic surgery would probably make Frankenstein's monster look aesthetically pleasing?

Luzern
Hero

Another thing for robotics?

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.