cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surely they should have things right by now !

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Surely they should have things right by now !

I know this is about software... but it will probably get more views and comments as part of "General Chat"..

Ooops.... Windows 10  fails agen !..

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-5190653/Security-flaw-Windows-10-opened-passwords-hac...

The bug was found by a "Google researcher"...  however...

*************************************************************************************************************************************************

A Keeper spokesperson said the flaw only affected version 11 of the Keeper app, which was released on December 6, and that the problem was fixed eight days later.

Users were only exposed when they followed Keeper app prompts to install the browser plugin, they said.

No reports of any customers affected by this bug have been reported to Keeper. 

**************************************************************************************************************************************************

( above quote from the daily mail article ) .

You would think, that, after all the years of programming experience, behind those brilliant minds at Microsoft ( or indeed other software companies ).. that they should be able to "destruct test" their offering BEFORE allowing them out into this big bad world.

27 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

Re: Surely they should have things right by now !

I suspect microsoft is like a number of other companies and 'test' things out on customers rather than doing much testing themselves.

Hardly matters what you choose, cars, tumble dryers or the rest.....let the customer do the testing and following complaints we will sort it out, as to when it gets sorted that's another matter.

Community Veteran

Looks like you could be right......

Argos are recalling a chair, cos it breaks when you sit on it.... and a Fan Heater that can cause fires  !.. too hot to handle..

Trouble is... Argos will get the flak,... not the manufacturers...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5190069/Argos-recalls-250-armchairs-20-fan-heaters.html

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

For around eight days this month, some versions of the operating system shipped with a password manager with a massive security flaw

The defective version of 'Keeper Password Manager' came pre-installed on newly built Windows 10 systems derived directly from the Microsoft Developer Network.

So its only SOME versions not all win10  Wink

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Pete11
Pro
Fixes: 4

I'm glad i'm still on Windose 7.  Roll eyes

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
Community Veteran

@rongtw  Yeah but....   !

The whole point is NONE should have any of these flaws in their security.... and even more especially so for stuff that manages your passwords...  

rongtw
Seasoned Hero

@shutter Yes i agree , but it was not actally Win10 flaw , it was a third party  password software bundled with some win10 OS on sale Thumbs Up

Jonpe
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

Firefox keeps asking if I'd like it to remember passwords and I always say no.  I've never seen the box pictured in the article, does that mean I'm ok?

Community Veteran

@Jonpe  Yeah... it`s damned annoying.... just like the PlusNet survey thing that keeps popping up, even though you have already answer NO a zillion times...

It`s like an ATM asking you.... "thank you for using this ATM ... would you like me to remember your pin for the next time  ? "

Oooh... YES PLEASE.... ! Shocked

rongtw
Seasoned Hero

@Jonpe  firefox passwords are safe Thumbs Up  have never had a problem and its handy for regular sites .

@shutter  your problem is due to your settings that's why the pop up is continuous Sad

Community Veteran

@rongtw

I am also plagued by that (censored) pop up from PN.

Exactly what settings to I need to change to stop it appearing again on Android & Linux.

Thanks.

rongtw
Seasoned Hero

i believe its one of the cookies that is removed when he cleans his browser on shut down ..

as suggested here https://community.plus.net/t5/Community-Site-Feedback/Attn-Superuser-group-Annoying-Pop-up-amounting...

Community Veteran

@rongtw

Thanks for your response.

There is an assumption that everyone who uses the internet is a expert in 'IT' except they are not.

The link in your post shows 10 pages on this topic which is now locked due to going off topic with several suggestions about removal of cookies and the rest but nowhere can I see if or how cookies can be removed or retained or which cookies should be removed or retained ?

I do not use cc cleaner I just switch my Samsung tablet on and use it so exactly where do I find a list of ? cookies.

The average user does not want to be constantly pestered with the same thing, even gmail gives you the option of blocking any unwanted emails.

So the issue like many others has not been resolved, or at least not for me

rongtw
Seasoned Hero

@gleneagles  the best way as @shutter says is for Plusnet to stop !!  the stupid surveys Thumbs Up

Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 67

I really wish I could change how the survey works. As I already mention in that thread, its all based on a cookie rather than user (so that visitors that do not have an account can also participate I guess).

All I can suggest is that you do not clean your cookies for the forums.. possibly whitelist/edit the cookie so that it doesn't expire after 3 months too if you really want to stop it completely.

The cookie is called 'ValueSurveyParticipation' and you will find it in your browser developer tools:

Firefox: Developer tools (right click anywhere on a forum page and click 'inspect element') > Storage > Cookies > https://community.plus.net > find the ValueSurveyParticipation cookie.

Chrome: Developer tools (right click anywhere on a forum page and click 'inspect') > Application > Cookies > https://community.plus.net > find the ValueSurveyParticipation cookie

double click the 'Expires' column and change the date to something far far in the future. The survey will not come back again (unless you delete the cookie that is - and I can't stop the survey from coming back if you do that).

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.