cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surely they can't be serious.

Fixes: 47

Surely they can't be serious.

Are people gullible enough to fall for the likes of this email I've just received?
Hello Customer.
Your annual energy consumption report for 2013 has been drawn up. You have exceeded your limit for electricity usage.
To use a discounted energy tariff, please, discharge the indebtedness. Your updated electricity bill is available here
(URL link to zip file)
Yourth faithfully
Billing Office

Return address jim@bigcar.org
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
22 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Surely they can't be serious.

If someone "aged" living alone, relying on the internet and emails for connection with the outside world... it could well be ..
.. don`t forget,.... we, on this forum, are "pretty savvy" with the likes of scams, and find it difficult to understand how people can be conned/ripped off with simple messages like that one...
at least once a month, on our local tv, there is a story of how some older people have fallen victim.... when you would consider, because of their age,  and experience of life for so long, that they would not think people would be trying to rip them off....
Yes, it is a disgusting state of affairs, that people that send these emails are about, and, basically, they know they will not get caught, because they are hiding behind several different aliases and other stuff.... not the same as a guy knocking on your door, when the plod come round and you can give a " vague" description...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Am surprised the "Spam" filter didn't catch it, received something similar.
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Quote from: Strat
Are people gullible enough to fall for the likes of this email I've just received?

Unfortunately there will always be some.
Since sending thousands, even millions of emails requires very little expenditure, a spammer or scammer only requires a 'hit rate' of a small fraction of a percentage to make it worthwhile.  Sad
Not young enough to know everything
RichAllen
Grafter

Anyone that's daft enough to fall for that deserves everything they get, not to mention the fact that the zip file is more than likely to be infected with some kind of ultra nasty virus.

Community Veteran

Old people = daft (well some at least).
A now deceased elderly relative of mine didn't have gas at their home but when the gas salesman turned up to try and talk them into switching they got an invite in through the door - despite me saying it was a salesman trying to get her to switch the non existent existing supply. Even the salesman realised he was wasting his time within seconds.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

On the subject of.......  "old people".... how old, are "old people" ?
( or should i start another thread, to help rack up my number count on my chase of Old Jim? )
Community Veteran

Quote from: 7up

I think you'll find many younger people just as daft Grin
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I once stood in front of a Parliamentary Committee and suggested the way to combat Spam would be to impose a 1 pence tax per message (the proceeds to go to the UN for disaster relief). There'd be only minor impact on genuine email users, but a massive hit against spammers. Unsurprisingly the founder of Spamhaus, who was the next person to "give evidence" opposed the idea.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
TORPC
Grafter

Quote from: RichAllen
Anyone that's daft enough to fall for that deserves everything they get, not to mention the fact that the zip file is more than likely to be infected with some kind of ultra nasty virus.

You really do have a cruel streak to the less savvy / less fortunate / less educated in these matters folk ,don't you ?Huh
May I ask what they have ever done to you ?Huh
Community Veteran

Quote from: artmo
Quote from: 7up

I think you'll find many younger people just as daft Grin

Yes but we have an excuse - lack of experience lol
Quote from: shutter
On the subject of.......  "old people".... how old, are "old people" ?

Me personally I'd say 70 / 75+
Community Veteran

Quote from: RichAllen
Anyone that's daft enough to fall for that deserves everything they get,

I'm sure we could equally apply that logic to you in many ways. Let me get this right.. you still live at home, you wear a hearing aid, oh and you've admitted to being a rather large person..
Going by your logic, you deserve all the abuse you get too. Do you agree? I certainly don't.
I'll admit some of us have given you quite a hard time for your warfare attitude here but no-one here has a problem with any of your other qualities.
Why then do you consider those who are less fortunate, less well educated, perhaps mentally disabled, or just not very bright in such a bad light and that they deserve everything they get? It's stuff like that RichAllen that is making you a large number of hostile contacts on this forum.
RichAllen
Grafter

I don't still live at home actually, I moved into supported living in August 2006.
As for being large, I'm only 5'5", and I can't do a lot of exercise due to disability so I've put weight on unfortunately.
Fixes: 101

Quote from: AlaricAdair
I once stood in front of a Parliamentary Committee and suggested the way to combat Spam would be to impose a 1 pence tax per message (the proceeds to go to the UN for disaster relief). There'd be only minor impact on genuine email users, but a massive hit against spammers.

I doubt that very much, compared to the likely profit that spammers get it'd cost the average internet user, charities and small businesses.
Probably only slightly less effective than the banning of certain websites in this country..
Will Moderate For Thanks
myredhotcar
Grafter

Dear Sirs:
We detected malware on the computer that was connected to your banking information. We have a dedicated malware can be used to eliminate the tools provided by HSBC, and are willing to eliminate the threat free. Before we can do this, however, we must ensure that the right people who are trying. To do this, we will ask the bank cards on both sides of the scanned image. This is the case, your bank inspectors can verify your identity.
When removing, please send the scanned image: vorificaton@hcbs.ru
yours
Department of malware HSBC