Did you mean: 

Surely it’s the wrong way round

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Surely it’s the wrong way round

22 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Surely it’s the wrong way round

It's a pity we don't take the same hard line in the UK.
Community Veteran

Sorry, that's out of order, he has lived in Australia for 40 years, since the age of 7.
Deporting him "back" to the UK is inhuman, especially for offences over 10 years previously.
Separating him from his family (his parents, his partner, and his children) and sending him to country that for him is foreign is disgusting and as I say inhuman.
I increasingly despair of Australia's increasingly draconian and brutal immigration system.
David_W
Rising Star

He may have lived there for 33 years but he never applied for citizenship so doesn't seem to class himself (or want to class himself) as Australian.  We naturally cannot refuse to take him back as he's a British subject.  I do really wish we would take a hardline stance on anyone who breaks the law and are from another country, they are guests to our hospitality, the vast majority of immigrants play by the rules but for the tiny minority there should be a "get out of our country!" if they decide to abuse our hospitality.
I for one would love to see the guy who burned poppies on remembrance day thrown out, unfortunately he's British by birth so we can't eject him.  Australia is doing the right thing, getting rid of undesirables, if a foreign national shot at a copper in the UK, I blooming well hope they would get thrown out after their sentence, though most likely he'll have winked once at a woman somewhere so it would breach his "human rights" to be thrown out.
Community Veteran

You have no way to know what was in his mind, and why he never applied to be an Australian national.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/World-News/British-Man-Clifford-Tucker-Is-Deported-From-Australia-D...
The Australian government stripped 47-year-old Clifford Tucker of his visa and put him on a plane to London, despite protests from his family and his lawyer, who say he is being punished twice.
Mr Tucker moved to Australia with his parents when he was six years old, but his father told his children not to apply for Australian citizenship in case they lost their British identity.
By the time Mr Tucker tried to become a citizen, he had served a jail sentence for attempting to murder a policeman, and was told he was not a suitable candidate.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I have a son who live on the Barrier reef, he has taken out Aus citizenship but also has a British passport and nationality
Fixes: 125

Quote from: Oldjim
http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/World-News/British-Man-Clifford-Tucker-Is-Deported-From-Australia-Despite-Living-There-For-40-Years/Article/201104315974480?lpos=World_News_Second_Home_Page_Article_Teaser_Region_1&lid=ARTICLE_15974480_British_Man_Clifford_Tucker_Is_Deported_From_Australia_Despite_Living_There_For_40_Years_
... he had served a jail sentence for attempting to murder a policeman...

Doesn't deserve to be protected by Human Rights laws.
I agree with Artmo.  A guest in any country should abide by their rules/laws and be prepared to be deported for breaking them.
Quote from: fourfourdevon
Separating him from his family (his parents, his partner, and his children) and sending him to country that for him is foreign is disgusting and as I say inhuman.

Didn't seem that he was bothered about separating the policeman from his family when he attempted to kill him.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

I agree, but an eye for eye makes the whole world blind.  His wrong does not justify another.
Fixes: 125

Deporting him is not necessarily wrong but a deterrent is also needed. In my view hard line must be shown so that others may think twice before committing their crimes.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Think the whole issue of Citizenship, opens a can of worms.
How can somebody be a ‘guest’ for 30 odd years?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Stay in the UK and claim benefits and dont learn English Lips are sealed Undecided
Community Veteran

I'd like to see how that's done.
It's taken over two years for me to receive the majority benefit entitlement I'm told I'm eligible for.
I've had to have multiple letters from my Doctor, medical examinations, reports from social services and a benefits advisor working 2 to 4 hours a week on my case for that 2 years to get this far, and all I know for certain is that I will be subjected to periodical medical exams etc every so often forever more, or until I stop claiming.
I hear of and sometimes read stories from the Daily Mail banging on about benefit scroungers living the high life, well, I want to know how, because I'm entitled and I assure you, what I get is not enough to live the high life, not by any stretch of the imagination.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

As I said you speak English
nadger
Rising Star

There have been several cases recently of people from Eastern Europe claiming benefits in multiple identities.
As we all know government forms aren't the easiest to complete so how does someone, whose first language isn't English, manage to fill in so many forms.
As fourfourdevon has said, one is subjected to numerous checks to get money to which one is entitled so are we just easy targets for the DWP and the more difficult cases get filed in the pending tray.