pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Support a charity in the new year

my offering 
>
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Why is it that those with the least give the most ?
nadger
Rising Star

They were saying, on TV yesterday, that less well off give a higher proportion of their income to charity.
Personally I prefer to support one charity by monthly DD, in my case Cancer Research UK, and will only rarely to other collections.
[Moderator's note by Adie (Adiewoo):  Full quote of preceding post removed, as per Forum Rules ]
dick:green Remains of quote removed.
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 32

Considering a sponsored bike ride in the new year for Mind. Should involve considerably more effort than my moustache growing antics for Movember.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Not sure if this is accurate but I recently read that Barnados no longer provides childrens homes and the Chief Exec is on a fairly high salary.
I Tend to give towards groups which are mainly run by volunteers and you can see where the money is being spent, the more that goes into administration the less there is for those it is intended for in the first place.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

A second hand bookshop in our local town closed down back in the Autumn, it was a sad day.
The owner used to pay and employ about a dozen part timers, supply coffee (in exchange for a coin in the box), provide comfortable armchairs, pay his council tax and income tax, donate to charitable causes. He used to give credit if you took any books, a well worthwhile second hand book shop to visit.
I met the owner over Christmas, he now is unemployed, I asked him “What went wrong?”
He wasn’t bitter, just replied “I couldn’t compete with the Charity Shops, their volunteer labour, discounted council tax and donations of books, there’s ten of them in our high street now, some with two branches”.
I wrote him a cheque, an advance for some books I may require in the new year, which I don’t expect to collect.
Does our  ‘charity model’ need a rethink?